In October 2019, following review and deliberation, the Trustees of the Trust Fund issued a Report & Recommendation on Scholarship Policies to the City Council on scholarship fund policies, detailing the three goals that the Trustees would like to accomplish:
- Adoption of guidelines for future scholarship funds to ensure that they are adequately funded
- Creation of new community scholarship funds.
- Consolidation of existing underfunded funds.
On December 2, 2019, Trustee Chair Thomas Watson detailed the report and recommendations to the City Council.
The Trustees recommended consolidating underfunded accounts into several newly created community scholarship funds, thereby increasing the amount of principal available to generate income annually for scholarships by over $280,000 and preventing the reoccurrence of unproductive funds in the future.
The consolidation followed the following process:
- Adopt new policies for the establishment of five new community scholarship funds
- Create the new community scholarship funds
- Merge the existing small scholarship funds into the new community scholarship funds
The City Council adopted the recommendations (For City Council minutes of this action, click here), creating the following new scholarships. To make a donation to any of the scholarships, click one of the links below to connect to the City's secure online payment portal:
The Trustees of the Trust Funds manage these scholarships as well as the following scholarship funds:
- Annie Fields, 1917
- Annie Mcintosh, 1971
- Barbara Porter Memorial Scholarship, 2015
- Barry Hodgdon, 1974
- Bud Ricci Memorial, 2015
- Carrie Lee Memorial, 1998
- Clarence I. Sherwood, 1988
- Col. Helen D. Maslanka, 2011
- Demaris-Brooks, 1982
- Erik Rappolt Scholarship Fund
- Ermino A. Ricci, 1982
- Futures Program Endowment, 2009
- Gray Scholarship, 1955
- Henry B. Margeson Scholarship, 2011
- Horace A. Haven, 1934
- Jhaime S. Dye Scholarship, 2008
- John and Olga Leary Scholarship, 2003
- John Durgin Scholarship, 2013
- John J. Foley Scholarship, 1997
- John Wholey Scholarship, 2003
- Joseph H. Grilli, 1999
- Martha De Meritt, 1872
- Salvatore and Joanne Grasso Scholarship, 2000
- Tony Rahn Memorial Scholarship, 2015
- William and Irene Mortimer Scholarship I, 2003
- William and Irene Mortimer Scholarship II, 2015
For more information about the scholarship application process, contact Brittany Lind, College Counselor at Portsmouth High School. Telephone: 603.436.7100.
Back to main Trustees of the Trusts Funds page.