**THE TAX OFFICE IS NOW BY APPOINTMENT ONLY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE**
FOR THE SAFETY OF BOTH PORTSMOUTH CITIZENS AND CITY STAFF – On January 25th, 2021 the Tax Office went to APPOINTMENT ONLY. The City encourages residents to utilize online payment options, U.S. Mail or the grey box outside of City Hall.
To make an in-person appointment, please contact the Tax Office at: 603-610-7244.
***PLEASE NOTE*** that you can pay your city bills online at https://www.cityofportsmouth.com/city/pay-my-bill. As this is an ever-changing situation, please check the city website for possible updates. E-mails and phone messages will be checked periodically throughout this time.
Visitors with an appointment will be greeted at the front door, with new protocols in place, which include.
- Visitors will be required to wear a cloth mask while in City Hall
- Masks will be provided if the visitor does not bring one.
- If the department the visitor wants to visit is at capacity, that person will be asked to wait in a physical-distancing queue in the Portsmouth Room, adjacent to City Council Chambers.
BEFORE VISITING CITY HALL FOR MOTOR VEHICLE TRANSACTIONS, PLEASE REVIEW THE FOLLOWING TO ENSURE YOU HAVE THE PROPER DOCUMENTATION.
**PLEASE READ ALL SECTIONS AS MORE THAN ONE MAY APPLY.**
ALL MOTOR VEHICLE TRANSACTIONS:
- You MUST provide your driver’s license or other recognized government issued photo ID (passport, real ID, etc.)
If you are new to Portsmouth, moved back from being away, or have not registered before, you are required to show Proof of Residency:
- Proof of Residency:
- A utility bill in your name for your Portsmouth address dated within 30 days: OR,
- A notarized lease agreement; OR,
- A paystub with your Portsmouth address dated within 30 days: OR,
- A signed, notarized statement from the property owner stating that you live at the address you are claiming as your residence; OR,
- A change of address confirmation from the USPS, or an envelope with a forwarding address dated within 30 days.
- Minors (under the age of 18) must provide a completed guardian authorization form.
NEW REGISTRATIONS (the vehicle has not been registered to you previously, or you bought out a lease):
Model year 2000 or newer:
- An original CTA (Certified Title Application) – this is a document from the dealer and it normally has ‘Town Clerk Copy’ in red letters at the bottom (we cannot accept copies); OR,
- An original TITLE for vehicle models 2000 or newer (please make sure, if you are not the owner listed on the front of the title, and the vehicle has been sold to you, that the back of the title is properly filled out and signed by all appropriate parties) (we cannot accept copies).
Model year 1999 or older:
- A BILL OF SALE; AND,
- A copy of the previous REGISTRATION or TITLE (seller, buyer, VIN#, Make, Model, Model Year, Date of Sale, and Mileage must be on the bill of sale); OR,
- If you cannot obtain a copy of the title or registration, you MUST provide a completed VIN verification form, which can be downloaded from the State of NH DMV website, and which must be completed by an inspection station or law enforcement officer.
TRANSFER OF PLATES
- You MUST have the original REGISTRATION for the vehicle from which you are transferring the plates. We can provide a certified copy, but there is an $18 charge.
IF YOUR REGISTRATION INVOLVES A TRUST OR A BUSINESS, PLEASE CALL TO SEE WHAT ADDITIONAL ITEMS
YOU WILL NEED.
WE CANNOT TAKE COPIES OF CTA’s, COPIES OF TITLES OR COPIES OF REGISTRATIONS YOU ARE TRANSFERING – THEY MUST BE ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS.
WE CANNOT ACCEPT LEASE AGREEMENTS OR LETTERS FROM PROPERTY OWNERS AS PROOF OF RESIDENCY UNLESS THEY ARE NOTARIZED.
- The purpose of the Tax Collection Office is to assure safe and accurate collection and timely deposit of City monies while serving customers in a professional and courteous manner.
- To facilitate tax billing and payments, vehicle registrations, and water/sewer payments.
- To provide accurate and timely information to Portsmouth’s residents and taxpayers regarding property taxes, vehicle registrations, and payments to the City.
- Property Tax Collection
- Motor Vehicle Titling and Registration
- Boats, ATV, Snowmobile Registration
- Water Sewer Collection
- Collection of Miscellaneous City Accounts Receivable
- Departmental Deposits
- Administering Online Bill Payments