Please review the following to ensure that you have ALL the proper documentation before visiting City Hall.
ou MUST provide your driver’s license or other recognized government issued photo ID (passport, real ID, etc.)
If you are new to Portsmouth, moved back from being away, or have not registered before, you are required to show Proof of Residency:
Proof of Residency
- A utility bill in your name for your Portsmouth address dated within 30 days: OR,
- A notarized lease agreement; OR,
- A paystub with your Portsmouth address dated within 30 days: OR,
- A signed, notarized statement from the property owner stating that you live at the address you are claiming as your residence; OR,
- A change of address confirmation from the USPS, or an envelope with a forwarding address dated within 30 days.
Minors (under the age of 18) must provide a completed guardian authorization form.
We cannot accept Lease Agreements or letters from property owners as PROOF OF RESIDENCY unless they are notarized.
ONLINE MOTOR VEHICLE RENEWAL
We are pleased to offer our customers who are renewing their registrations the convenience of submitting renewal requests and payments online. Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover credit and debit cards, and electronic checks are accepted for vehicle registration renewal payments.
How Does This Work?
Our service is only available to Portsmouth residents who wish to renew their registrations. It is not available for new, first-time, or plate transfer registrations.
Please have the following items handy before continuing:
- Your plate number and the last for digits of your VIN (both of which can be found on your current registration).
- A valid email address.
In most cases, your registrations will be processed and mailed back to you within 2-4 business days of submitting your online payment.
Terms of Service
By using the online registration renewal service, you confirm that you understand and agree to the following terms of service:
Submitting your request to renew your vehicle registrations is not the same as registering your vehicle. Online submissions do not constitute a contract or requirement for the City to comply with those requests. Until you receive your official registration form and decals, your vehicle is not considered registered. Missing or incorrect information, data transmission problems, and other causes may delay or prevent the processing of your registrations.
There is no fee to pay by checking or savings account. For credit card transactions the service fee is either $1.95 or 2.95% of the transaction amount, whichever is greater. There is also a $0.50 fee added to each vehicle to offset the City's postage/envelope cost of mailing your registrations and decals to you.
The vehicle has not been registered to you previously, or you bought out a lease
Model year 2000 or newer
- An original CTA (Certified Title Application) – this is a document from the dealer and it normally has ‘Town Clerk Copy’ in red letters at the bottom (we cannot accept copies); OR,
- An original TITLE for vehicle models 2000 or newer (please make sure, if you are not the owner listed on the front of the title, and the vehicle has been sold to you, that the back of the title is properly filled out and signed by all appropriate parties) (we cannot accept copies).
Model year 1999 or older
- A Bill of Sale; AND,
- A copy of the previous Registration or Title (seller, buyer, VIN#, Make, Model, Model Year, Date of Sale, and Mileage must be on the bill of sale); OR,
- If you cannot obtain a copy of the title or registration, you MUST provide a completed VIN verification form, which can be downloaded from the State of NH DMV website, and which must be completed by an inspection station or law enforcement officer.
- TRANSFER OF PLATES
You MUST have the original REGISTRATION for the vehicle from which you are transferring the plates. We can provide a certified copy, but there is an $18 charge.
- Proof of Residency - see list above - in the business name;
- Proof of good standing with the NH Secretary of State; and
- Business card or letterhead.
If your registration involves a TRUST, please call to see what additional items you will need to provide.
We cannot take copies of CTAs, Titles or Registrations you are TRANSFERRING they must be original documents.