Motor Vehicle Title & Registration Information
ALL MOTOR VEHICLE TRANSACTIONS
Please review the following to ensure that you have ALL the proper documentation before visiting City Hall.
ou MUST provide your driver’s license or other recognized government issued photo ID (passport, real ID, etc.)
If you are new to Portsmouth, moved back from being away, or have not registered before, you are required to show Proof of Residency:
Proof of Residency
- A utility bill in your name for your Portsmouth address dated within 30 days: OR,
- A notarized lease agreement; OR,
- A paystub with your Portsmouth address dated within 30 days: OR,
- A signed, notarized statement from the property owner stating that you live at the address you are claiming as your residence; OR,
- A change of address confirmation from the USPS, or an envelope with a forwarding address dated within 30 days.
Minors (under the age of 18) must provide a completed guardian authorization form.
We cannot accept Lease Agreements or letters from property owners as PROOF OF RESIDENCY unless they are notarized.
ONLINE MOTOR VEHICLE RENEWAL
We are pleased to offer our customers who are renewing their registrations the convenience of submitting renewal requests and payments online. Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover credit and debit cards, and electronic checks are accepted for vehicle registration renewal payments.
How Does This Work?
Our service is only available to Portsmouth residents who wish to renew their registrations. It is not available for new, first-time, or plate transfer registrations.
Please have the following items handy before continuing:
- Your vehicle renewal notice letter, which we will mail to you about six weeks prior to your registration's expiration date
- Your Renewal ID (10 digit number); and Code (6 digit number) which are printed on your letter; AND
- A valid email address.
In most cases, your registrations will be processed and mailed back to you within 2-4 business days of submitting your online payment.
Terms of Service
By using the online registration renewal service, you confirm that you understand and agree to the following terms of service:
Submitting your request to renew your vehicle registrations is not the same as registering your vehicle. Online submissions do not constitute a contract or requirement for the City to comply with those requests. Until you receive your official registration form and decals, your vehicle is not considered registered. Missing or incorrect information, data transmission problems, and other causes may delay or prevent the processing of your registrations.
There is no fee to pay by checking or savings account. For credit card transactions the service fee is either $1.95 or 2.95% of the transaction amount, whichever is greater. There is also a $0.50 fee added to each vehicle to offset the City's postage/envelope cost of mailing your registrations and decals to you.
The vehicle has not been registered to you previously, or you bought out a lease
Model year 2000 or newer
- An original CTA (Certified Title Application) – this is a document from the dealer and it normally has ‘Town Clerk Copy’ in red letters at the bottom (we cannot accept copies); OR,
- An original TITLE for vehicle models 2000 or newer (please make sure, if you are not the owner listed on the front of the title, and the vehicle has been sold to you, that the back of the title is properly filled out and signed by all appropriate parties) (we cannot accept copies).
Model year 1999 or older
- A Bill of Sale; AND,
- A copy of the previous Registration or Title (seller, buyer, VIN#, Make, Model, Model Year, Date of Sale, and Mileage must be on the bill of sale); OR,
- If you cannot obtain a copy of the title or registration, you MUST provide a completed VIN verification form, which can be downloaded from the State of NH DMV website, and which must be completed by an inspection station or law enforcement officer.
- TRANSFER OF PLATES
You MUST have the original REGISTRATION for the vehicle from which you are transferring the plates. We can provide a certified copy, but there is an $18 charge.
- Proof of Residency - see list above - in the business name;
- Proof of good standing with the NH Secretary of State; and
- Business card or letterhead.
If your registration involves a TRUST, please call to see what additional items you will need to provide.
We cannot take copies of CTAs, Titles or Registrations you are TRANSFERRING they must be original documents.
For more information, please visit
Questions? We are always happy to help!
Contact the Tax Office at (603) 610-7244.
Residents and Non-Residents may register or renew their boats at the City of Portsmouth Tax Office.
- Previously issued registration or
- State of New Hampshire renewal notice/registration form, or
- NH Driver’s License (if renewing an existing boat registration)
New Boat Registration Requirements
- Model Year
- Fuel Type
- Inboard/Outboard designation
- Single or Twin Engine
- Hull Identification Number (1973 & newer must be 12 digits)
- Hull material
If previously registered in NH, you MUST provide the NH Bow Number originally assigned to the boat.
By registering or renewing your Boat in the City of Portsmouth, the City of Portsmouth is able to retain 100% of the “Boat Fee” portion of the registration, which would otherwise be paid to the State of New Hampshire (RSA 72-A:5). The remaining “Registration Fee” portion is remitted to the State of New Hampshire
Snowmobile and OHRV (Off Highway Recreational Vehicle) Registrations
New Hampshire residents and non-residents may now register and renew their Snowmobile and OHRV (Off Highway Recreational Vehicle) registrations during regular City Hall business hours. No additional fees apply. Snowmobile registration fees are discounted for members of a New Hampshire snowmobile club by presenting their official voucher (proof of paid membership) for the current registration year.
State Registration Fees & Information
- Must be at least 18 years of age, present a valid driver's license or non-driver photo ID, and apply in person.
- Must present a valid NH driver's license or NH non-driver photo ID to qualify for resident rates.
- Must provide the following vehicle information: year of manufacture, make, model, displacement (c.c.), primary and second colors, and VIN. OHRVs are not titled in New Hampshire, therefore, no title, bill of sale or previous registration is required.
- Will receive a registration certificate and 2 decals.
- Is responsible for verifying that their registration and machine information is correct before leaving the registration agent.
- Must affix the decals as required by NH Fish and Game Department.
MOTOR VEHICLE REGISTRATION ESTIMATE
NH Motor Vehicle Kiosk
This web site provides New Hampshire residents with an easy way to estimate the costs of registering their motor vehicles. We do this by matching your vehicle to similar vehicles in our database of actual Registrations and providing you with both the average cost and the highest cost for those similar vehicles.