Board of Registrars
|Registrar At-Large||Barbara Ward||16 Nixon Park||603 436-6142|
|Ward One||Penny Reynolds||21 Prospect St.||603 430-1233|
|Ward Two||Candace Thayer||175 Cabot St.||603 431-2410|
|Ward Three||Angelynne Hinson;||1180 Islington St.||603 431-9420|
|Ward Four||Marcia Main||4 Cleveland Dr.||603 433-8843|
|Ward Five||Laura Spelke*||579 Sagamore Ave, #87|
|Registrar Clerk||Arthur Parrott||190 Grant Ave.||603 436-9256|
*appointed by Board of Registrars
Ward One - New Franklin School -1 Franklin Drive
- Off Woodbury Avenue, between Anchorage and Best Inns
Ward Two-Portsmouth Middle School -(Connie Bean Gymnasium Entrance)- 155 Parrott Avenue
- Between the Library and Court House
Ward Three - Sherburne School (Robert J. Lister Academy) -35 Sherburne Road
- From Route 33, hospital traffic light intersection, take left at Stop sign
- From Route 1, take Borthwick Avenue to the end
Ward Four - Dondero Elementary School - 32 Van Buren Avenue (Off Lafayette Road (US RTE 1) onto McKinley Road Then right onto Van Buren Avenue)
Ward Five - Little Harbour School - 50 Clough Drive (off of South Street)
HOW TO REGISTER TO VOTE
When determining the qualifications of an applicant, the supervisors of the checklist, or the town or city clerk, shall require the applicant to present proof of citizenship, age, and domicile, as provided in the following categories:
The supervisors of the checklist, or the town or city clerk, shall accept from the applicant any one of the following as proof of citizenship: the applicant's birth certificate, a passport, naturalization papers if the applicant is a naturalized citizen, a citizenship affidavit, or any other reasonable documentation which indicates the applicant is a United States citizen.
Any reasonable documentation indicating the applicant is 18 years of age or older.
Alternate Options (other than above)
- You may register on Election Day.
- If you meet the state's voter requirements and qualifications and are unable to register in person because of physical disability, military service, or because of temporary absence, you may register by mail. You should request an Absentee Registration Affidavit and a Voter Registration Card from the City Clerk. The Absentee Registration Affidavit must be witnessed and then both the affidavit and the voter registration card are to be returned to the City Clerk.
ABSENTEE BALLOTS AND APPLICATIONS
Absentee ballots for the November 5, 2019 Municipal Election are not yet available.
November 5, 2019 Absentee Ballot Request Form - Click here to download 2019 Municipal Election Absentee Ballot Application
You may Track Your Ballot: https://app.sos.nh.gov
CRITERIA FOR RECEIVING ABSENTEE BALLOTS
There are four reasons available under the law for individuals to receive an absentee ballot. Commuters please read information under Absence from City.
- Absence from City: A person is unable to appear at any time during polling hours at polling place because they will be working on election day or will be otherwise absent on election day from the city and will be unable to vote in person.
- Absence Because of Religious Observance: A person is observing a religious commitment which prevents them from voting in person.
- Physical Disability: A person is unable to vote in person due to a physical disability.
- Absence from City due to Employment: A person cannot appear at any time during polling hours because of an employment obligation. The term "employment" shall include the care of children and infirm adults, with or without compensation.
STATE SENATE AND STATE REPRESENTATIVE DISTRICTS
Due to the passage of House Bill 592, our State Senate and State Representative Districts are as follows:
State Senate District - after 2012 Redistricting
- District 21: Durham, Lee, Madbury, Newfields, Newington, Newmarket, and Portsmouth
State Representative Districts - after 2012 Redistricting = 7 total representatives
- District 25 - Consists of Ward 1 only
- District 26 - Consists of Ward 2 only
- District 27 - Consists of Ward 3 only
- District 28 - Consists of Ward 4 only
- District 29 - Consists of Ward 5 only
- District 30 - Consists of Ward 1, 2, 4, and 5 (Not 3)
- District 31 - Floterial with Ward 3 only represented with Greenland, Newington & North Hampton
1st Congressional District - 1 representative to Congress
SAMPLE BALLOTS - November 5, 2019 Municipal Election not yet available.