Board of Registrars
|Registrar At-Large||Barbara Ward||16 Nixon Park||603 436-6142|
|Ward One||Penny Reynolds||21 Prospect St.||603 430-1233|
|Ward Two||Candace Thayer||175 Cabot St.||603 431-2410|
|Ward Three||Angelynne Hinson||1180 Islington St.||603 431-9420|
|Ward Four||Marcia Main||4 Cleveland Dr.||603 433-8843|
|Ward Five||Laura Spelke||579 Sagamore Ave, #87||603 436-1626|
|Registrar Clerk||Arthur Parrott||190 Grant Ave.||603 436-9256|
The last day to register to vote prior to the November 3, 2020 General Election will be Wednesday, October 28, 2020 during regular hours in the City Clerk's Office and also during the Board of Registrar's Session 4:30 - 6:30 p.m.
Ward One - New Franklin School -1 Franklin Drive
- Off Woodbury Avenue, between Anchorage Inn and Howard Johnson Hotel
Ward Two-Portsmouth Middle School -(Connie Bean Gymnasium Entrance)- 155 Parrott Avenue
- Between the Library and Court House
Ward Three - Portsmouth Senior Activity Center- 125 Cottage Street (for the upcoming September 8, 2020 and November 3, 2020 Elections)
Ward Four - Portsmouth High School (for the upcoming September 8, 2020 and November 3, 2020 Elections)
Ward Five - Little Harbour School - 50 Clough Drive (off of South Street)
HOW TO REGISTER TO VOTE
When determining the qualifications of an applicant, the supervisors of the checklist, or the town or city clerk, shall require the applicant to present proof of citizenship, age, and domicile, as provided in the following categories:
The supervisors of the checklist, or the town or city clerk, shall accept from the applicant any one of the following as proof of citizenship: the applicant's birth certificate, a passport, naturalization papers if the applicant is a naturalized citizen, a citizenship affidavit, or any other reasonable documentation which indicates the applicant is a United States citizen.
Any reasonable documentation indicating the applicant is 18 years of age or older.
Alternate Options (other than above)
- You may register on Election Day.
- If you meet the state's voter requirements and qualifications and are unable to register in person because of physical disability, military service, or because of temporary absence, you may register by mail. You should request an Absentee Registration Affidavit and a Voter Registration Card from the City Clerk. The Absentee Registration Affidavit must be witnessed and then both the affidavit and the voter registration card are to be returned to the City Clerk.
STATE SENATE AND STATE REPRESENTATIVE DISTRICTS
Due to the passage of House Bill 592, our State Senate and State Representative Districts are as follows:
State Senate District - after 2012 Redistricting
- District 21: Durham, Lee, Madbury, Newfields, Newington, Newmarket, and Portsmouth
State Representative Districts - after 2012 Redistricting = 7 total representatives
- District 25 - Consists of Ward 1 only
- District 26 - Consists of Ward 2 only
- District 27 - Consists of Ward 3 only
- District 28 - Consists of Ward 4 only
- District 29 - Consists of Ward 5 only
- District 30 - Consists of Ward 1, 2, 4, and 5 (Not 3)
- District 31 - Floterial with Ward 3 only represented with Greenland, Newington & North Hampton
1st Congressional District - 1 representative to Congress