How to Apply for a Marriage License
Both in state and out of state residents may apply at any City Clerk's Office to be married in the State of New Hampshire.
To apply for the license, both parties must appear at the same time in the office otherwise an application cannot be completed.
The License Application fee is $50.00 payable at the time of filing. Acceptable payment consists of cash, check, money order, or credit/debit cards. A convenience fee of 2.95% will be charged for the use of a credit/debit card.
Licensing Time Frame
The license is valid for ninety days from the date you apply. There is no longer a waiting period and the license may be used the same day.
Picture identification is required upon time of application.
If either party was married previously, the following must be presented, as applicable:
- DIVORCE: A certified copy of the final divorce decree, which must include a raised seal on the document.
- DEATH: A certified copy of the death certificate.
- ANNULMENT: A certified copy of the annulment.
Application Hours (*Please note: the marriage application process can take 20 minutes or so, please apply no later than ½ hour before closing)
- Monday 8:00 a.m. to 6:00* p.m.
- Tuesday through Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30* p.m.
- Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00* p.m.
If you have specific questions regarding the process, you are encouraged to contact the office before appearing to complete the application.