October 30, 2023
City Clerk Kelli Barnaby has confirmed the polling hours for the City’s Municipal Elections on Tuesday, November 7, 2023. The polls will be open from 8 am to 7 pm.
Voting locations for Portsmouth voters are determined by the Ward in which they live. For a list of which streets are included in each Ward, visit: portsnh.co/votinginfo.
Ward locations for the November 7, 2023 election are as follows:
• Ward One – New Franklin School, 1 Franklin Drive;
• Ward Two – Portsmouth Middle School, 155 Parrott Avenue;
• Ward Three – Portsmouth Senior Activity Center, 125 Cottage Street; • Ward Four – Dondero Elementary School, 32 Van Buren Avenue; and
• Ward Five – Little Harbour School, 50 Clough Drive.
There will be designated parking at all five ward locations.
Voter registration is also accepted at the polls on Election Day. For more information, contact the City Clerk’s Office at (603) 610-7245.
Sample ballots are available on the City’s website, visit: portsnh.co/votinginfo. Voters are reminded to follow the instructions on the ballots very carefully. For example, voters are permitted to choose fewer candidates than the total each race requests, but not more than the number allowed.
Absentee ballots for the Municipal Elections are now available at the City Clerk’s office. New Hampshire law (RSA 657:1) requires that voters appear in person at the appropriate Ward polling place. Voters may request an absentee ballot if they:
• Will be absent on election day. Reasons for absence include:
- Being out-of-town on election day;
- Caring for children or infirm adults, with or without compensation; or
- Having concerns about traveling because on the Monday immediately before the election, the National Weather Service has issued a winter storm, blizzard, or ice storm warning that applies to the voter’s City or Ward.
• Are unable to vote in person due to disability;
• Are unable to vote in person due to observance of a religious commitment, which prevents someone from voting in person; or
• Are confined to a penal institution for a misdemeanor or while awaiting trial.
Results from the Municipal Election will be posted to the website and reported live from Council Chambers as soon as they are available, visit: https://portsnh.co/electionresults.
For more information on voting, registration requirements, a sample ballot and other details, visit: portsnh.co/votinginfo