Food & Drug Administration issues guidance on grocery shopping during the COVID-19 pandemic, click here.
Please click on the boxes below for the latest information, including:
A list of Portsmouth restaurant/food takeout, pickup and delivery options
Portsmouth restaurants permitted for outdoor dining (not necessarily open -- check first).
Note that restaurants with on-premise liquor licenses can now sell beer/wine with takeout food orders. The list of options changes daily so check the SeacoastOnline.com list of Seacoast area restaurants, too.
City website information about Farmers Markets and grower resources. Click here. Although the City Hall markets were cancelled for the interim, many participants are offering direct food sales from their farms. Click here for the Seacoast Eat Local directory of these resources.
In addition to the Food Aid link below, the following resources are available
- Operation Blessings open Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays 10am-4pm for Food, Clothing and Household items for New Hampshire and southern Maine residents within 30 miles of their location at 600A Lafayette Road in Portsmouth.
- Senior Mobile Food Pantry operates Mon thru Sat, 10am to 4pm. Seniors-only, ages 62+ from Portsmouth, only.
Food Donations to GATHER. Our local food pantry that serves more than 1,400 Seacoast residents and 400 schoolchildren through the End 68 Hours of Hunger program on weekends, needs food! Click here for the list of what’s needed and where to drop off donations.
For an interactive map detailing food resources in the region and the state, click here.
Update on grocery stores (link below).
- Seniors-Only (age 60+) Shopping Hours
- McKinnons, Daily 7-8 am
- Market Basket, Tues-Thurs mornings, 6-7 am
- Hannaford, Tues-Thurs mornings, 7-8 am
- Trader Joe's, Daily 8-9 am
Back to Single-Use Plastic Bags -- Gov. Chris Sununu on Saturday ordered all grocery and retail stores to temporarily transition to the use of single-use paper or plastic bags only – no reusable customer bags -- due to the threat of the spread of the coronavirus. Customers’ use of reusable bags is banned. The purpose of the order is to avoid the unintentional spread of the virus from home environments.
School Department Meal Distribution
While schools remain physically closed, our breakfast and lunch pick-up and delivery is still in service. Pickup for breakfast and lunch at the Portsmouth High School cafeteria door between 7:30 am and 12 noon, Monday through Friday. Meal distribution also takes place at these bus stop location satellite sites:
- Wamesit (11:00 - 11:25)
- Ledgewood (11:30 - 11:45)
- Gosling Recreation Center (11:00-11:45)
- Osprey Landing (at mailboxes) (11:00-11:20)
- White Cedars (11:30-11:45)
- Patriots Park (11:00-11:20)
- Beechstone (playground) (11:25 - 11:45)