Resources for Job Seekers
At the library, we have resources for all aspects of your career search - whether you're just getting started, switching careers, or simply need guidance updating your resume. From books to videos to interactive websites, check out what we have to offer below, and if you need more help, contact a librarian!
For video tutorials on Learning Express, Lynda.com, and AtoZdatabases, click the button on the left side of the page. You will need to sign up for a free Niche Academy account to keep track of your courses.
- Learning Express - Click on Career Preparation, then Learn More About a Career. This module covers a variety of different fields, and includes information about the job market, training programs and how to finance them, exams and certification, and more. Career fields include healthcare, culinary arts, federal careers, green careers, law enforcement, legal careers, nursing, and teaching.
- The Change Careers section under Job Search & Workplace Skills also includes the Career Changer's Manual eBook which includes many additional resources and skills assessment tools.
- LinkedIn Learning's Learning Paths - Use the library's link to access LinkedIn Learning, then click Browse. Once you find a topic that interests you, click it and then select Learning Paths on the lefthad side of the screen. These videos will help you get started in a number of careers focused on IT, graphic design, business skills, and photography.
- Books - Search the library catalog to find information about a specific career, or browse various career books if you're not sure what you're looking for. We also have books like Ehe Encyclopedia of Careers and Vocational Guidance or What Color is Your Parachute to help you decide on a career.
- Career OneStop - the Department of Labor's career resource site, which includes career information, self-assessment tools, and career planning information.
Writing a Resume and Cover Letter
- Learning Express - Click on Career Preparation, then Job Search & Workplace Skills, then Create Great Resumes and Cover Letters. These tutorials will help you through each step of the resume & cover letter creation process, including finding the right format for you, learning about keywords and action words, sample resumes, and more.
- AtoZ Databases - Click the Career Resources tab and then How to Apply for access to resume and cover letter templates and examples.
- LinkedIn Learning - Follow our link to LinkedIn Learning and search for resume or cover letter to access dozens of videos from different instructors.
- Books - Search the library catalog for books on writing resumes and cover letters.
- Learning Express - Click on Career Preparation, then Job Search & Workplace Skills, then Interview with Confidence. This section includes an eBook on interviews, plus a tutorial where you'll learn the importance of pre-interview research, explore a variety of interview styles, gain practice answering the most common interview questions, and more.
- AtoZ Databases - Click the Career Resources tab and then How to Interview for some tips on preparing for an interview and following up afterwards.
- LinkedIn Learning - Follow our link to LinkedIn Learning and search for interview or interviewing to access dozens of videos from different instructors.
- Books - search the library catalog for books on job interviews to help you prepare, gain confidence, think about answers for common questions, and follow up after an interview.
- AtoZ Databases - From the front page of AtoZ, use the Find a Job search to find jobs based on location and job title or keyword. Use the Advanced Search button to help narrow down results even more. Search results provided by Indeed.com
- Learning Express - Click on Career Preparation, then Job Search & Workplace Skills, then Conduct a Successful Job Search. This module includes an ebook on how to approach your contacts using social media, emails, and cold calling to speed up your job search, and a tutorial on finding your next job that focuses on the modern-day of employment opportunities and various career paths, useful tips on how to execute your search and apply for a job, and best practices in using social media to advance your career.
- LinkedIn Learning - Follow our link to LinkedIn Learning and search for job searching to access dozens of videos from different instructors on job hunting strategies, including looking for remote work opportunities and working with recruiters.
- Job search sites - there are many websites where you can search for jobs. Whenever possible, apply for the job from the company's website instead of directly from a job aggregator like Indeed.com.
- NH Works Job Match System
- Jobs in NH
- Career OneStop
- Jobs available with the State of NH
- Federal employment opportunities
- Zip Recruiter
- Career Builder
- LinkedIn Jobs
- Ladders - focuses on senior-level, upper management, and executive positions
- Google for Jobs - Search from the google home page, but use phrases like “accounting jobs” to get a list of available positions.