How to apply for a card
- Come to the library in person,
- with appropriate identification,
- fill out a registration form.
Types of Personal Identification:
- Personal Photo identification and proof of current street address is required for registration.
- P.O. boxes are not accepted
- Acceptable Identification (with printed current street address)
- Driver's license with current street address printed on the front
- Bank statement
- Utility bill
- Auto registration
- Lease agreement
- Tax statement
Library Card Eligibility
Free Cards are issued to...
- Residents of Portsmouth.
- Persons aged 5 and over are entitled to a card in their individual name.
- Students in Portsmouth Schools, including those from other towns.
- City of Portsmouth Employees. (Please bring most recent paycheck stub for verification)
- Portsmouth Property Owners
- Businesses, non-profit organizations, day care centers, nursery schools and state agencies located within the city are also eligible for a "business" library card. For more detailed information about business library cards, see below
- Persons not living in Portsmouth may purchase a family membership. All users must reside in the same household
- $90 for one year
- $50 for six months
- Senior rate (65 years or older) $85.00/$45.00
- Fee is set by the Board of Trustees & the City of Portsmouth
- Non-Portsmouth businesses, organizations & schools are not eligible for a Portsmouth library card
Renewing Your Library Card
- Residents’ Library cards are valid for two years.
- To re-register, proof of current residence must be shown.
- Library cards will not be renewed for borrowers with outstanding overdue items or fines, until their account is cleared.
Lost Library Cards
- You are responsible for all materials taken out on your card until the date the card is reported lost.
- Report a lost card immediately.
- If your card is not found after one month a new card will be issued for a charge of $1.00.
Businesses located within the city are eligible for a Portsmouth Public Library Business card, whether the business owns or rents space. Non-profit organizations and state agencies are included in these provisions.
To apply for a card, the owner or Chief Executive Officer must present a completed Business card application along with accepted proof of business presence in Portsmouth to the Circulation Desk in the library. In addition to the business information, the home address and phone information of the owner/CEO must be provided. Post office boxes are accepted as mailing addresses for the business, but are not considered proof of address. A lease, current tax invoice or utility bill will be required as proof.
The following guidelines apply to business cards:
- Persons wishing to borrow materials using the business card must have it with them.
- The owner/CEO accepts financial responsibility for all fines and fees accrued.
- Cards are issued for two years and are considered void if the business leaves the city.
- Changes in location or phone number must be updated at the Circulation Desk
- Any person presenting the card may borrow materials at the library. As with individual cards, the cardholder is responsible for all materials taken out on your card until the date the card is reported lost.
- Report a lost card immediately.
- A lost card may be replaced for a $1.00 fee.