Search the catalog?
Use the search bar at the top of this page (or in the menu if you are using a mobile device) and select "Catalog".
Or, visit the catalog directly by clicking here.
Search the library's website?
Use the search bar at the top of this page (or in the menu if you are using a mobile device) and select "Entire Site". It is worth noting that this will search the entirety of the City of Portsmouth's sites.
Place a hold?
How to place a hold online:
- To place a hold you must have a valid Portsmouth Public Library card.
- Log in to your Library Account using your library card barcode number and PIN number from the My Account link or the link at the top of the Catalog that says My Account.
- Conduct a search in the Library Catalog
- To request that the item be saved for you (placed on hold), click on the REQUEST button. The system will immediately notify you if your request was accepted – “your request for ________was successful” .
- The library will notify you by email or by phone when a requested item is ready for pickup. The item is placed on the self-serve pickup shelves under your last name. Items are wrapped for privacy.
- Items are held for 5 business days before the hold is automatically cancelled and the item is moved to the next person or returned to the shelves.
View my library account?
You can view your library account information by logging into the library catalog here. You will need your library card number. Your password is by default the last four digits of your phone number. If your login information isn't working, call us for help at 603-427-1540!
Find out about story times?
See all upcoming Story Times on our calendar!
Find out about library programs?
Visit the library's calendar to see all upcoming events.
Look up new items?
You can find a list of new items in the library catalog - click on New Items on the right to see all your options!
Get book recommendations?
We create Curated Book Lists to make it very easy to put a hold on items in our catalog. Or, fill out our PPL Rex form to get a book bundle, tailored just to your interests! Or, sign up for a NextReads newsletter to get new and noteworthy recommendations in different genres by email each month! Get more information and discover what to read next on our PPL Rex page.