The Portsmouth Public Library is committed to serving our community, and we know that small businesses, nonprofits, and entrepreneurs are vital to its resilience and wellbeing.
The library offers a number of free spaces, services, and resources to support business productivity and growth. Here are a few of our offerings.
- Spaces & Services
- Private rooms – Small study rooms that can be reserved free of charge for up to 2 hours a day, or larger meeting rooms with flexible hours for qualifying organizations
- Coworking space – An area on the second floor that does not require a reservation, where you can work in groups or take phone calls.
- Technology – Computers, laptops, printers, photocopiers, scanners, and a fax machine available for in-library use, plus items like a projector* and shredder* for borrowing
- The Reference Desk – Stop by the desk on the second floor for information on local services and additional business resources
- Databases & Digital Learning
- *New* Gale Business Entrepreneurship & Plan Builder – sample business plans, articles, eBooks, step-by-step guides to building a business plan, and more!
- AtoZ Databases – Directory and marketing database with thousands of contacts to help you grow your business through outreach and networking
- LinkedIn Learning* – Thousands of self-paced training classes in business and technology on everything from management to web design
- EBSCO Learning Express* – Practice tests for certifications and licensure, including real estate, cosmetology, nursing, electrician, and plumbing exams
- Westlaw – Legal database for researching NH and federal statutes and case law, including employment and business law
- Books & Periodicals (print and digital)
Resources with a * are available with a library card. Library cards are FREE for Portsmouth residents and businesses (find out more about business library cards). All other resources are available at the library, no card needed!
Local and Community Resources
In addition to resources offered at the library, our Reference Desk can give you information about local services and organizations that may be able to assist in your business growth. Here are a few!
- Seacoast Organizations
- Seacoast SCORE (Portsmouth) – Provides free and confidential one-on-one business counseling, as well as workshops for both start-up entrepeneurs and seasoned small business owners
- Greater Portsmouth Chamber of Commerce (Portsmouth) – Provides communication, education, support, advocacy, and cooperative opportunities for local business support and growth
- NH Small Business Development Center at UNH (Durham) – Offers confidential, individualized business advising and education for NH small businesses free of charge
- Statewide Organizations
- Grant Opportunities
- NH State Agencies – Find state issued grants on respective agency websites
- Grants.gov – One stop website for federal grant research and application
- NH Charitable Foundation – Longstanding community foundation and public charity for nonprofits
- Candid's Foundation Directory – Research database and tool to help nonprofits find grants from funders. This tool requires on-site access, but is not offered at the Portsmouth Public Library. You can find a location with access at candid.org/find-us