Portsmouth Public Library is a gateway to reading, information, culture, community activities, and self-directed learning. It serves those who want to read, to learn, or to connect with our community and our cultural heritage.
The library's mission is one of sharing and it strengthens the community by fulfilling these roles:
- Popular Materials Library: Provides a wide range of popular materials in various formats for the personal use of people of all ages.
- Reference Library: Responds to the information needs of the community by answering questions, helping people find materials in the Library, and providing connections to informational resources beyond the Library.
- Youth's Door to Learning: Fosters, in children, a love of reading and learning by offering stimulating materials, programs, and services for them, their parents and caregivers.
- Community Activities Center: Provides places for people to meet, interact, organize, study, and enjoy programs of public interest.
- Community Information Center: Makes available past and present community information for those who want to learn about local government, personal and community heritage, and services provided by community agencies and organizations.
The Library accomplishes its mission of sharing by:
- Continually assessing the reading and informational needs of the community.
- Selecting, arranging, lending, or otherwise making available resources and materials of general interest or recurring utility;
- Maintaining a friendly and knowledgeable staff trained to offer professional service; and
- Collaborating and cooperating with other city departments and with educational, cultural, and social organizations in the community.