Returns & Curbside Pickup
In accordance with city policy, you will be required to wear a face mask while returning materials.
Monday – Tuesday: 11 AM – 1 PM and 3 – 7 PM
Wednesday – Thursday: 11 AM – 1 PM and 3 – 5 PM
Saturday: 11 AM – 3 PM
11 AM – 12 PM each day is reserved for seniors and high-risk or immunocompromised library users. We ask everyone to respect this accommodation, and visit after noon if you are not in this population.
In accordance with the City’s mask ordinance, anyone over the age of 6 will be required to wear a face mask to use all library services, including returning and picking up materials.
How will returning items work?
Please bring all returns to the front door of the library during open hours. Boxes will be available just inside the outer door of the library.
The library book drop remains closed.
All returned library materials will continue to be quarantined. Only after quarantine will they be checked in – so please do not worry if they still appear in your online account.
Can I grab something new while I’m at the library?
Unfortunately, no. At this time the rest of the library building will not be open to the public.
We are now offering Curbside Pickup on Demand! Here’s how it works:
- To place a hold on an item online, search/browse the catalog to find items you want. When you find an item you want to reserve, click on “Place a Hold.” Then follow the prompts to log into your account, if you haven’t already, and confirm your hold. Feel free to call us at 603-427-1540 if you need assistance at any time!
- When your holds are ready, you will receive an email, phone or text notification from the library.
- At that point, you are ready to use curbside pickup on demand! Visit the library at any time during open hours. Or, if you prefer, make an appointment by calling us at 603-427-1540.
- At this time, you may also return any items you have out.
How will I pick up my holds?
When you arrive outside the library, call our special Curbside Pickup number at 603-766-1705, or ring our doorbell, and we will bring your materials outside!
How can I find out if my holds are ready?
We ask that you wait until the library has contacted you to let you know your items are ready. At that time, you may visit the library or schedule a pickup.
How do I place holds on items?
Please visit cityofportsmouth.com/library/how-borrow for instructions on placing a hold online. If you have difficulty logging in, or accessing the internet, feel free to call us at (603) 427-1540 to place a hold over the phone.
Remember – we will let you know when the items are ready for you to pick up.
I don’t have a library card! Can I use this service?
Please visit cityofportsmouth.com/library/news/librarycard for instructions on signing up for a library card remotely.
Can I request items from other libraries?
Inter Library Loan is now open!
Can I request additional items after I reserve my pickup time?
You can reserve additional items, per pickup, but if you reserve more items after your pickup time is confirmed, we cannot promise they will make it into your package.
How long will you offer this service?
Until further notice. Since our service levels are determined based on a number of public health factors, we do not know when our services, or our hours, will change. Please check our website for updates.
Remote Printing with Curbside Pickup
The library will continue to offer remote printing for curbside pickup. Here’s how it works.
- Upload your print job through our Printeron service, or send your files to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You may print up to 10 pages free of charge per day. At this time we cannot print more than 10 pages for free.
- Pick up your document(s) the next business day during open hours. When you arrive at the library, simply call our Curbside Pickup number at 603-766-1705 or ring the doorbell and we will bring your printed materials out to you. They will be placed confidentially in a manila envelope, and labeled with the name used in Printeron or in the email.
- Questions? Call us at 603-766-1720.