Returns & Curbside Pickup
The library’s outdoor book drop is NOW OPEN! Return your items at any time, day or night.
You may also return your items at the entrance to the library during open hours. All returned library materials will be quarantined for at least 72 hours. Only after quarantine will they be checked in – so please do not worry if they still appear in your online account.
The library is now open for browsing. Holds can be picked up in the lobby. For those not comfortable entering the library, we will continue to offer Curbside Pickup by appointment – this will be available just outside the front door, or just inside the door during inclement weather. Here’s how it works:
- To place a hold on an item online, search/browse the catalog to find items you want. When you find an item you want to reserve, click on “Place a Hold.” Then follow the prompts to log into your account, if you haven’t already, and confirm your hold. Feel free to call us at the number below if you need assistance at any time!
- When your holds are ready, you will receive an email or phone notification from the library.
- If you would like to retrieve your library materials outside at a specific time, please call (603) 427-1540 to schedule a pickup time during open hours. If you are a senior, high-risk or immunocompromised, you may schedule a pickup between 11 AM and 12 PM.
- Visit the library at the allotted time to retrieve your materials just outside the front door, or just inside the door during inclement weather. At this time, you may also return any items you have out, and/or enter the library to browse if occupancy allows. We will continue to offer Remote Printing for Curbside Pickup.
How can I find out if my holds are ready?
We ask that you wait until the library has contacted you to let you know your items are ready. At that time, you may visit the library or schedule a pickup.
How do I place holds on items?
Please visit cityofportsmouth.com/library/how-borrow for instructions on placing a hold online. If you have difficulty logging in, or accessing the internet, feel free to call us at (603) 427-1540 to place a hold over the phone.
Remember – we will let you know when the items are ready for you to pick up.
I don’t have a library card! Can I use this service?
Please visit cityofportsmouth.com/library/news/librarycard for instructions on signing up for a library card remotely.
Can I request items from other libraries?
Inter Library Loan is now open!
Can I request additional items after I reserve my pickup time?
You can reserve additional items, per pickup, but if you reserve more items after your pickup time is confirmed, we cannot promise they will make it into your package. However, if you're comfortable, feel free to enter the building to speak with a staff member or pick out additional items!
Remote Printing with Curbside Pickup
The library will continue to offer remote printing for curbside pickup. Here’s how it works.
- Upload your print job through our Printeron service, or send your files to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You may print up to 10 pages free of charge per day. At this time we cannot print more than 10 pages for free.
- Pick up your document(s) the next business day during open hours. When you arrive at the library, simply call our Curbside Pickup number at 603-766-1705 or ring the doorbell and we will bring your printed materials out to you. They will be placed confidentially in a manila envelope, and labeled with the name used in Printeron or in the email.
- Click here for more information on wireless printing.
- Questions? Call us at 603-766-1720.