Current Courses Offered
Click class title to see description and prerequisites.
- Computer Basics
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Excel
- Google Drive
Computer Basics: Basic elements of Windows, including: using the mouse and keyboard, highlighting, copying, and pasting text, common menus, toolbars, and shortcuts, exploring programs and documents, overview of computer hardware and storage media.
- Prerequisites: None.
Microsoft PowerPoint: Learn how to use design templates for slides and how to add WordArt, clip art and animations. We'll also discuss how to save, view and print a presentation, as well as posting your presentation online for others to view.
- Prerequisites: Familiarity with using the keyboard and mouse; highlighting, copying, and pasting text; and using the basic elements of the Windows operating system.
Microsoft Excel Basics: Learn how to navigate within an Excel worksheet, enter and edit data, select ranges, format cells, and create simple formulas and charts.
- Prerequisites: Microsoft Word class - or - familiarity with using the keyboard and mouse; highlighting, copying, and pasting text; and using the basic elements of the Windows operating system.
Microsoft Excel Charts: Take a deeper dive into charts, chart types, the chart ribbon, creation and which charts work best with which data.
- Prerequisites: Microsoft Excel Basics class - or - experience using Excel outside of class, creating formulas and basic charts in Excel, familiarity with Microsoft Word, and using the basic elements of the Windows operating system.
Intermediate Microsoft Excel: Learn intermediate Excel skills not covered in the introductory class including advanced charts, filtering and subtotaling data, conditional formatting, concatenating text and splitting text into columns, using logic-based functions, printing worksheets with repeating header rows and columns, and PivotTables and PivotCharts.
- Prerequisites: Microsoft Excel Basics class - or - Experience using Excel outside of class, creating formulas and basic charts in Excel, familiar with Microsoft Word.
Google Drive: Google Drive is a free online tool for creating and storing documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. Google Drive allows multiple users to work on a document at once.
- Prerequisites: Must be comfortable using the keyboard and mouse. Should be comfortable navigating the Internet.
Other Online Learning Options
- LinkedIn Learning is free with a Portsmouth Public Library card and offers video courses on a wide variety of computer and technical topics.
- GCF Global is a free platform good for beginner computer classes, no library card required.