The Maplewood Avenue reconstruction project resumed for its second summer season on Monday, April 8, 2019. Crews close Maplewood Avenue to traffic from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. with the exception of residents and emergency vehicles. Crews installed a temporary water system within the McGee Drive and Fairview Drive areas. Weekly updates will be posted on this page moving forward.
The design for this project includes a comprehensive full road reconstruction and underground utility replacement in Maplewood Avenue from Woodbury Avenue to the Maplewood Avenue Bridge over the Route 1 bypass. The streetscape design on Maplewood evaluates the use of "complete street" components to improve safe access for pedestrians, bicyclists, motorists, and public transportation users of all ages and abilities. Also, the Cutts Street/Central Avenue, and Leslie Drive, and Fairview Drive neighborhoods are included in the design, including utility and roadway improvements. The utility component includes replacement of water and review the need for sewer and drain improvements throughout the project area.
The City received bids in March 2018 and awarded the construction contract to Sargent Corporation of Stillwater, ME. Sargent began construction the week of July 9, 2018. The project is anticipated to require two construction seasons to complete.
The project limits of the construction contract awarded includes Maplewood Avenue spanning the Woodbury Avenue intersection to the Maplewood Avenue Bridge over the Route 1 Bypass and the adjacent street of Fairview Drive. Design alternates included in the bid (Cutts/Central and Leslie Drive neighborhoods) are not included in this construction contract. The result of the bid pricing was that the City deferred the alternate work; but in July 2019 the City Council approved the bond to fund the work.
A public information meeting was held on August 8. For more information, click here.
The lead contact for this project is Raymond Pezzullo, the City's Assistant City Engineer. Please contact him at 603-766-1755 or email@example.com with any comments or concerns.
Week of December 2nd, 2019
Anticipated Upcoming Work On – Maplewood Avenue, Woodbury Avenue and Fairview Drive
- The Contractor will be working Monday through Friday of this week from 7 AM to 6 PM.
- Preparation, grading and placement of cement concrete sidewalks will continue along Maplewood Avenue and Woodbury Ave. This work is weather dependent.
- Paving is anticipated to be completed at the intersection of Cutts Street and Maplewood Ave. Traffic will be limited to one-way alternating traffic while the surface pavement is placed.
- Roadway patches along Maplewood Ave. will be repaired for the winter.
- Material deliveries will be ongoing to the site including asphalt and aggregate, etc.
Anticipated Upcoming Work On – Cutts Street, Central Avenue, Beechwood Street, Ashland Street and Leslie Drive
- The existing trenches on Central Ave., Beechwood Street, Ashland Street and Leslie Drive will be prepared for temporary pavement. Temporary pavement is tentatively scheduled for the end of the week, this work is weather dependent.
- Home inspections for sewer services and sump pumps will be on-going. These inspections will be completed by the City’s consultant, Weston & Sampson.
- Alternating one-way traffic can be expected along Maplewood Ave. and the Cutts Street, Central Ave. and Leslie Drive neighborhoods.
- Pedestrian access will be maintained throughout the project; however, it may be limited to one side of the roadway and the walking surface may be compacted gravel.
Work hours are from 7AM to 6 PM. Travel delays may be expected during these times.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Resident Engineer, Jasper Jenkins, cell: 603-762-6852 or Ray Pezzullo, P.E., Assistant City Engineer at 603-766-1755 (cell: 603-957-8843).
Final Paving Update
- Final paving for this project is anticipated to be limited due to the time of year. Any locations which are not paved this year will be paved in the spring.