The goal of this project is to make travel along a critical section of Route 1 safer and more appealing for pedestrians and bicyclists of all ages. Initially identified in the City's Safe Routes to School Action Plan in 2010, this project was also highlighted as a high priority in the City's recently completed Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan.
The project, which received funding from a NHDOT Safe Routes to School Grant, evaluated options for creating an on-road bike route along Route 1 between the High School and Downtown. Pedestrian crossings at the intersections along this corridor were also assessed to determine where improvements might be necessary to improve safety and accessibility. The City worked with an engineering team led by Greenman-Pedersen, Inc. on this project.
For more information or with comments or questions about this project, please contact Juliet Walker, the City of Portsmouth's Planning Director, 603-610-7296 or email@example.com.
Public Meetings and Presentations
- Report Back to Parking & Traffic Safety Committee (December 6, 2018)
- Presentation to Parking & Traffic Safety Committee (October 4, 2018)
- Public Meeting (June 8, 2017)
- Presentation to Parking & Traffic Safety Committee (October 6, 2016)
- Demonstration Projects of Proposed Designs (September 23, 2015)
- City Council Presentation of Preferred Alternative (April 6, 2015)
- Public Meeting to Review Design Alternatives (February 12, 2015)
- Public Information Gathering Meeting (November 19, 2014)
Project Documents, Studies, Plans