Most Popular Databases
All Databases & Recommended Websites
Choose a subject below to find a list of useful databases and web links.
Many of the resources are available from any Internet workstation.
Some will require you to enter your Portsmouth Public Library card number.
Business and Finance
The AtoZ Business Database includes 30 million U.S. businesses, and the AtoZ Residential Database includes 215 million U.S. residents. Researchers can easily share data by email among co-workers, family or friends, and export up to 1000 records. Give it a try!
- Email Marketing
- Job Search
- Mailing Lists & Sales Leads
- People Look-Up
- Business Profiles
- BusinessSource Premier indexing and full text articles from 1,000 business journals as far back as 1985
- Regional Business News
- Consumer Price Index cost of living information, nationally and regionally and by category
- Foundation Center (in library access only - ask librarian for password)
One of the nation's leading online funding research tools, Foundation Center helps grantseekers and other nonprofit executives fulfill the missions of
- Nearly 100,000 U.S. foundations and corporate donors, over 2 million recent grants, and over 500,000 key decision makers
- Updated continually, Foundation Directory Online provides the most accurate details available on U.S. funders and their grants
Newspapers and Magazines
Morningstar Investment Research Center is an all-inclusive investment research database. It features data and analysis on over 15,000 international and domestic stocks, 25,000 mutual funds, and more than 1500 exchange traded funds. Plus, the database boasts a comprehensive Help and Education Center, Portfolio X-Ray and robust screening tools. Remote Access -- In Library Access
- EBSCOhost a family of indexes to help find articles in general interest magazines, business journals, consumer health publications, and newspapers
- Portsmouth Herald
Homepage of the local newspaper. Includes news from Portsmouth, NH covering the Seacoast of New Hampshire and Southern Maine including Kennbunkport and York County, ME.
- Foster's Daily Democrat
NH guide for Southeast New Hampshire and Southern Maine
- Boston Globe
Includes breaking local news, national news, politics and world news as well as special reports, sports, weather for Boston, Massachusetts and surrounding towns.
- Union Leader Website for New Hampshire's statewide newspaper
General Reference Law and Government
is a genealogy resource, including full text of historic
texts and genealogies, Census, revolutionary War records, Persi, etc.
Ancestry Library Edition
is a genealogical database, including access to Census records,
Social Security death index, Immigration records, Military, etc. Covers the U.S., Canada, and Europe.
New England Historic Genealogical Society (NEHGS) is a Boston research library for genealogists and family historians and home to 12 million+ original documents. Much of the collection is digitized and searchable by subscription only. Includes full access to the 162+ volume NEHGS Register!
- FamilySearch.org is a free genalogy website providing access to a large collection of genealogy resources from over 100 countries. Search over a billion names and images online.
The lynda.com online video training library is an excellent resource offering almost 3,000 self-paced training classes on a wide range of computer skills for beginning, intermediate, and advanced users. Topics offered include: the entire suite of Microsoft and Adobe products, website development, business skills, design skills, audio and video tools, creative inspirations, and much more. All of the courses are taught by expert instructors and have fully searchable transcripts.
To get started, click here to create a profile and/or log directly into your account, so you can keep track of your coursework and progress.
Or click on a course topic to the right and then login to gain access to the entire course.
- LearningExpress (in library access | remote access)
Create you own
personal account for practicing academic and vocational tests including:
Also try skill building exercises for students in elementary, middle and high school, including:
- PSAT, SAT & ACT Tests
- Advanced Placement Tests
- US History
- Many more...
- Elementary math and reading skills
- Middle School math, reading comprehension and writing
- High School algebra, geometry, reading and grammar
- Mango Languages is an online language-learning system teaching actual conversation skills for a wide variety of languages. Its online learning system is so easy to use, you'll see incredible results after just one lesson!
Languages taught include Arabic, Chinese, Dari, Farsi, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Pashto, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai, Turkish, Urdu and Vietnamese.
There are also English as a Second Language (ESL) courses for French, Russian, Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), Italian, Arabic, Japanese, Vietnamese, Polish, Korean, Greek, German, Spanish and Portuguese speakers.
Get started now or learn more about Mango here...
- Portsmouth Schools homepage of the School Department
- University of New Hampshire UNH's homepage
- College Source [in library only] criteria-based college selection with access to full-text catalogues
Home and Auto
- UNH Library access to the UNH library catalog
- N. H. State Library access to the catalog, databases, and web selections at the State Library
- NHU-PAC the union catalog for N. H., listing books in libraries throughout the state
- Library of Congress access to the online collections and catalog of LC
Advice for Readers
- Cars.com car prices and reviews, repair and care advice
- Edmunds new and used car prices, car reviews, safety information
- Mitchell Online [in library only] repair manuals, including wiring diagrams, for automobiles from 1974 to now
- Consumer.gov consumer information from many federal agencies, including the Do Not Call Registry
- Consumer Product Safety information about unsafe and recalled products
- NoveList Plus help in choosing fiction, by author, genre, setting, story, and more