Subdivision & Lot Line Revision Application Instructions
This application shall be used for Subdivision and Lot Line Revision Approvals from the Planning Board. All applicants should familiarize themselves with the Subdivision Regulations before submitting an application.
Prior to Planning Board, review by the Technical Advisory Committee shall also be required for the following situations:
- Creation of a new lot;
- Construction of a new public or private street;
- Widening or realignment of an existing public or private street;
- Construction of public or private water, sewer, or stormwater facilities serving more than one lot;
- Establishment of an easement over one lot for water, sewer, or stormwater facilities to serve a different lot;
- Provision of a common driveway or access easement.
1. A complete application including the online land use application form, the required application fee, and one (1) original full-size (22"x34") copy of all supporting documents, plans, and exhibits must be received by the Planning Department prior to the published deadline. Note, there are separate submission deadlines for the Technical Advisory Committee and Planning Board.
2. View Point Cloud is the software that powers the City of Portsmouth's online application center. In order to complete an online land use application, you must create an account for the site. When you register for the first time, you’ll need to access your email account in order to activate your View Point account.
3. The person completing the online application should be the primary point of contact for the project and must provide authorization from the property owner. All automatic notifications from View Point on the application’s status, approvals, and staff comments will be sent to this person’s email address. Only this person can add additional information to the application once it’s been submitted.
4. If the project will need multiple land use approvals from different boards, a single online land use application record should be used for all of the approvals. It is recommended that the applicant confer with Planning Department staff about project contacts for multiple land use approvals prior to submitting the application.
5. Submission deadlines are available from the Planning Department and online -- www.cityofportsmouth.com/planportsmouth/land-use-applications-forms-and-fees (meeting schedule).
6. The Planning Department reserves the right to refuse applications which do not meet the minimum requirements. The Planning Department may also require additional information and/or exhibits as needed to illustrate the scope of the project.
7. The following information is required for all applications for subdivision approval:
- Lot area, street frontage, and lot depth for existing lot(s)
- Front, side and rear yards / building setbacks for existing lot(s)
- Lot area, street frontage, and lot depth for proposed lot(s)
- Front, side and rear yards / building setbacks for proposed lot(s)
- Project representatives – names and contact information
- Subdivision plans meeting the requirements of the City’s Subdivision Regulations
- Subdivision application checklist
The Applicant is encouraged to consider the following when completing the application:
- Provide neat and clearly legible plans and copies
- Use of color or highlights is encouraged in order to identify pertinent areas on plans
- Applicants are encouraged to review the application with a member of the Planning Department staff prior to submittal
- All applicants are encouraged to discuss the project with impacted neighbors
For additional information on application requirements and the subdivision review process, please refer to the City of Portsmouth Subdivision Regulations and the Planning Board Rules and Regulations or contact the Planning Department directly at (603) 610-7216.