August 27, 2018
City Officials want to remind motorists to be aware that crossing guards will be stationed at positions throughout the City in conjunction with the start of the new school season Monday, August 27, 2018. Crossing guards assist students and parents walking and biking to school. Drivers are urged to use an abundance of caution near school neighborhoods, plan travel routes away from heavy school traffic, and obey posted school speed limits, and crossing guard signals.
Parents and students should be aware that some crossing guard times have been updated to accommodate new walking routes to New Franklin Elementary School due to construction of the Stark Street bridge. Additionally, construction is expected to be ongoing at the Andrew Jarvis Dr. entrance to the high school, where new turn lanes have been installed, and new traffic signals are anticipated by late October.
Failure to obey school crossing guard directions—including stopping at least 25 feet from a crossing guard displaying a signal to stop—is a violation of New Hampshire law and carries a $100 fine for an initial offense, and a $250 penalty for subsequent offenses during the same calendar year.
Parents and students who use the Summit Ave. entrance to Portsmouth High School between 8:10 a.m. and 8:20 a.m., when extended wait times can be expected, are advised to adjust their schedules to arrive earlier or later. During these times, crossing guards working that location must give priority to bus traffic entering and exiting the high school. A high volume of non-school traffic and lights at the intersection of South St. and Lafayette Rd. also contribute to longer wait times in that area during the morning rush.
Crossing guards will be posted at the following times and locations on school days:
- South Street at Summit Ave. (Portsmouth High School) - 7:55 a.m. to 8:30 a.m., and 3:15 p.m. to 3:45 p.m.
- Lafayette Road at Andrew Jarvis Drive (Portsmouth High School) - 8 a.m. to 8:25 a.m. and 3:15 p.m. to 3:40 p.m.
- Parrott Ave. at Richards Ave. and Richards Ave. at Middle St. (Portsmouth Middle School) - 8 a.m. to 8:25 a.m., and 3:05 p.m. to 3:25 p.m.
- Dennett Street at Woodbury Ave. and intersection of Woodbury and Franklin Ave. (New Franklin Elementary) - 7:45 a.m. to 8:20 a.m., and 2:45 p.m. to 3:05 p.m.
- South Street at Junkins Ave. (Little Harbor Elementary) - 8:00 a.m. to 8:20 a.m., and 2:50 p.m. to 3:15 p.m.
- South Street at Clough Drive (Little Harbor Elementary) - 7:55 a.m. to 8:30 a.m., and 2:45 p.m. to 3:15 p.m.
- South Street at Sagamore Ave. (Little Harbor Elementary) - 8:10 a.m. to 8:30 a.m., and 2:55 p.m. to 3:20 p.m.
- Van Buren Ave. at Fillmore Rd. (Dondero Elementary) - 8:05 a.m. to 8:30 a.m., and 2:45 p.m. to 3:10 p.m.