Commendations & Complaints
If you've had a positive experience with a member of the Portsmouth Police Department, know of a job well done, or you want to compliment an officer, please let us know by using the mailing address to the right or by emailing your comments to any or all of the following:
*IT IS THE POLICY OF THE PORTSMOUTH POLICE DEPARTMENT to receive and investigate all complaints against the Department or its members in a manner that will assure the public of prompt corrective action if Department members conduct themselves improperly.
HOW TO MAKE A COMPLAINT:
If you wish to make a complaint against a member of the Portsmouth Police Department, please:
- Contact Police Chief Mark Newport: firstname.lastname@example.org. or
- Contact your Citizen-representatives on The Police Commission (Click here) ; or
- Call the Police Department at (603) 610-7406 and ask to speak to the Shift Commander; or
- Come to Police Headquarters and ask to speak to the Shift Commander; or
- Mail your written complaint to the Chief of Police at the above address or use this complaint form (Click here):
Please note: If you call or visit the PD and speak to a Shift Commander, you will be asked at the end of the communication if you'd like to make a formal complaint.
FORMAL COMPLAINT PROCEDURES:
- We take all complaints seriously and every formal complaint will be reviewed by both Chief Newport and the Portsmouth Police Commission.
- Someone from Portsmouth Police Leadership or the Police Commission will provide follow-up contact within 5 to 7 days.
- The Chief and/or the Commission will provide a written response to your complaint at the conclusion of the review.