Commendations & Complaints
If you've had a positive experience with a member of the Portsmouth Police Department, know of a job well done, or you want to compliment an officer, please let us know by using the mailing address to the right or by emailing your comments to any or all of the following:
*IT IS THE POLICY OF THE PORTSMOUTH POLICE DEPARTMENT to receive and investigate all complaints against the Department or its members in a manner that will assure the public of prompt corrective action if Department members conduct themselves improperly.
HOW TO MAKE A COMPLAINT:
We take all complaints seriously. Every complaint made will be investigated. You may initiate a complaint against a member of the Portsmouth Police Department in one or more ways:
- Contact Police Chief Mark Newport: email@example.com
- Contact your Citizen-representatives on The Police Commission (Click here)
- Call the Police Department at (603) 610-7406 and ask to speak to the Shift Commander.
- Come to Police Headquarters and ask to speak to the Shift Commander.
- Mail your written complaint to the Chief of Police at the above address or use this complaint form (Click here).
- Complaint procedures are governed by Portsmouth Police Department SOP P-251, available on the PPD website here: Public Documents Directory - Portsmouth Police Department (NH) - PowerDMS.
- If you wish to remain anonymous by withholding your name, your complaint will still be reviewed and a preliminary investigation will be conducted.
- A member of the PPD leadership or the Police Commission will provide follow up contact within 5 to 7 business days. You are also entitled to periodic status reports, weekly if necessary, for extended investigations.
- You will be notified in writing of the disposition of your complaint.