Set Up Traffic Detail
Before construction, excavation or any other action which would hinder free passage of vehicles on any street or right-of-way in the City, a permit must be issued by the Director of Public Works or his/her designee.
Application must be made no less than 48 hours prior to the commencement of work, weekends and holidays excluded.
Effective 7/1/2013, all applications must be accompanied by a $25.00 application fee. Please make checks payable to the City of Portsmouth.
Permit applications are available here.
MUTCD Typicals to submit with your Flagging Application
- TA-1 Work Beyond the Shoulder
- TA-3 Work on the Shoulders
- TA-4 Short Duration or Mobile Operation on a Shoulder
- TA-10 Lane Closure on a Two-Lane Road Using Flaggers
- TA-11 Lane Closure on a Two-Lane Road with Low Traffic Volumes
- TA-13 Temporary Road Closure
- TA-15 Work in the Center of a Road with Low Traffic Volumes
- TA-17 Mobile Operations on a Two-Lane Road
- TA-18 Lane Closure on a Minor Street
- TA-26 Closure in the Center of an Intersection
- TA-30 Interior Lane Closure on a Multi-Lane Street
Traffic control jobs that require a person to direct traffic on the following streets will be required to use Portsmouth Police Officer(s):
- Borthwick Ave
- Grafton Drive
- Greenland Road
- Interstate Route 95 (if not covered by the N.H. State Police)
- Islington Street
- Lafayette Road
- New Hampshire Ave
- International Drive
- Ocean Road
- Pease Blvd.
- Woodbury Ave
- Market Street from Woodbury Ave to Deer Street
- Maplewood Ave
- Middle Street
- Downtown compact street area between Court Street, Deer Street, Maplewood Avenue and the Piscataqua River boundary.