Set Up Traffic Detail

Before construction, excavation, or any other action, which would hinder the free passage of vehicles or pedestrians on any street or right-of-way in the City of Portsmouth, a permit must be issued in advance by the Director of Public Works or a designee.

Flagging permit applications are permitted online through the City’s permitting center at:

Flagging procedures and rules and instructions on how to apply online are available on the Department of Public Works web page:


Traffic control jobs that require a person to direct traffic on the following streets will be required to use Portsmouth Police Officer(s):

  • Borthwick Ave
  • Grafton Drive
  • Greenland Road
  • Interstate Route 95 (if not covered by the N.H. State Police)
  • Islington Street
  • Lafayette Road
  • New Hampshire Ave
  • International Drive
  • Ocean Road
  • Pease Blvd.
  • Woodbury Ave
  • Market Street from Woodbury Ave to Deer Street
  • Maplewood Ave
  • Middle Street
  • Downtown compact street area between Court Street, Deer Street, Maplewood Avenue and the Piscataqua River boundary.