The Pease Wastewater Treatment Facility (WWTF) is the smaller of the two City owned treatment facilities and is located at the Pease International Tradeport. This facility is designed to treat an average daily flow of 1.2 million gallons per day (mgd) of wastewater from the Tradeport area to secondary treatment standards. The Pease WWTF was constructed in the 1950’s for the air force and used Primary Treatment followed by trickling filter technology for secondary treatment. The plant was upgraded in the 1990’s and converted to a Sequencing Batch Reactor (SBR) and the City took over operations from the Pease Development Authority around this same time. The current treatment system includes septage receiving, influent grinding, aerated grit removal, raw wastewater pumping, primary clarification, intermediate pumping, activated sludge treatment in SBRs, equalization, effluent pumping, disinfection with liquid chlorine and dechlorination. Sludge is removed from the primary clarifiers and the SBRs and is stored in a tank. The stored combined sludge is dewatered using a belt filter press and then disposed of at a landfill.
The treatment facility will be upgraded in phases over the next several years. The first phase of work is the new Headworks Building (completed in 2020) that will incorporate wastewater screening, grit removal and raw wastewater pumping. Future upgrades may include wastewater treatment process improvements and potential modifications to accommodate additional capacity for wastewater customers at the Pease International Tradeport.