CENTER FOR PORTSMOUTH SENIORS ADVANCES
Center for Portsmouth seniors advances
Vibrant and intergenerational programming
Community meetings during the design phase
To create opportunities for healthy aging through social engagement, physical well-being, civic involvement, creativity and lifelong learning.
Timeline and Next Steps
- July 2013: Blue Ribbon Committee defines site needs for the new senior activity facility
- Feb. 2015: Senior Subcommittee endorses plans to move forward with Doble facility
- April 2015: Conceptual plans for adaptive reuse
- March 2017: Phase I design initiated
- April 2017 to Sept. 2017: Stakeholder and community meetings for design phase
- November 2018: Continued coordination with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to obtain a transfer of the Paul S. Doble Army Reserve Center property to the City, City Council votes to accept the deed from the Federal Government.
- May 2019: City Council approves funding for the reconstruction of the new facility
- Next steps after transfer: Construction Request for Proposals and estimated 8-10 month timeline to complete construction (expected in 2020) after mobilization
Design and Engineering
The design and engineering firm AECm in Newmarket, NH has been working over the last several years on preparing conceptual designs for the new senior center. More recently in 2017 and 2018, age-friendly design work has also included support from Manypenny Murphy Architecture in Portsmouth and has been elevated to include technical specifications and details that will make the Portsmouth Senior Activity Center a premiere community resource for mature adults.
- Design Phase: Community listening session, 2017
- Invitation to Abutters for Senior Center Site Plan Information - October 29, 2018