First Time Homebuyer Program (HomeTown)
Would you like to purchase a home in Portsmouth?
Consider the Portsmouth HomeTown Program for first-time homebuyers*
*Income eligibility required.
What is the HomeTown Program?
Funded through the Portsmouth Housing Endowment Trust Fund (PHEF), the HomeTown Program makes available financial assistance to individuals and families who wish to purchase their first home and live in Portsmouth. This program brings together the resources of the City of Portsmouth and Citizens Bank to help eligible individuals and families overcome the financial barriers to homeownership.
In order to be eligible for the program's closing cost and down payment assistance, an individual or family must meet income and eligibility requirements and be a first-time homebuyer. Income limits are based on household size. Check out the information and guidelines!
Who administers the HomeTown Program?
This program is administered by the Portsmouth Community Development Department in partnership with Citizens Bank.
This is an equal opportunity program.
What financial assistance is available?
The amount of financial assistance available to you is based upon your income and assets. The maximum eligible income for a family of four is $139,9700 (based on U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development income limits dated 6/15/2022 and subject to change).
HomeTown financial assistance may include:
- Low interest first mortgage financing.
- Financial assistance for down payment and closing costs. This assistance will be secured by a second loan which has a 0% interest rate and does not need to be repaid for 10 years, and a third loan, if required, which does not have to be repaid until you sell or transfer your home.
Who is eligible to apply?
You are eligible to apply to this program
- want to purchase a home in Portsmouth;
- are a first-time homebuyer;
- earn an eligible income; and
- are a resident of Portsmouth and have lived here at least 2 years, or have, in the past, resided in Portsmouth for at least 10 years and currently live within 30 miles of Portsmouth, or are a permanent, full-time City of Portsmouth employee.
Eligible homebuyers must complete homebuyer training through an approved organization such as The Housing Partnership. This training will provide you with information regarding finding a Realtor, pre-purchase home inspection services, closing on your home and more.
How can I participate?
Contact Citizens Bank, N.A Loan Officer, Mary Carlson at (518) 229-8766 or call Elise Annunziata, Community Development Director at (603) 610-7281 for more information.
More information can be found by visiting the HomeTown program information and guidelines or contacting the Community Development Department at (603) 610-7281.