Over the past year, Department of Public Works has worked to make food waste composting easier for residents. A food waste drop-off area is now located at the Recycling Center and is available to Portsmouth residents during normal operational hours. This service is maintained by local company Mr. Fox Composting. Public Works also offers backyard compost bins – a $100 retail value – free to residents. In addition, the City provides a $10 per month subsidy to customers who use private compost curbside pick-up services. Those who use private food waste haulers for curbside service will see their subsidy reflected in their monthly bills from the hauler.
Acceptable items to compost include:
- food scraps: vegetables, fruit and meat (please remove any stickers from vegetables or fruit);
- coffee grounds and filters;
- paper napkins, plates and towels;
- tea bags (please remove staples);
- muffin wax wrappers;
- flowers and floral trimmings;
- wooden corks;
- all corn-based cups and utensils; and
- paper bags and/or compostable bags.
The Recycling Center hours of operation are:
Tuesday 7:45 a.m. - 3:15 p.m.
Wednesday 7:45 a.m. - 3:15 p.m.
Thursday 7:45 a.m. - 3:15 p.m.
Saturday 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Recycling Center Address
Located behind the Public Works facility at 680 Peverly Hill Road.