Over the past year, Department of Public Works has worked to make food waste composting easier for residents. A food waste drop-off area is now located at the Recycling Center and is available to Portsmouth residents during normal operational hours. This service is maintained by local company Mr. Fox Composting. We are currently out of our supply of free backyard compost bins, and will update the community if we get a new supply.
Acceptable items to compost include:
- food scraps: vegetables, fruit and meat (please remove any stickers from vegetables or fruit);
- coffee grounds and filters;
- paper napkins, plates and towels;
- tea bags (please remove staples);
- muffin wax wrappers;
- flowers and floral trimmings;
- wooden corks;
- all corn-based cups and utensils; and
- paper bags and/or compostable bags.
The Recycling Center hours of operation are:
Tuesday 7:45 a.m. - 3:15 p.m.
Wednesday 7:45 a.m. - 3:15 p.m.
Thursday 7:45 a.m. - 3:15 p.m.
Saturday 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Recycling Center Address
Located behind the Public Works facility at 680 Peverly Hill Road.