Youth Employment Certificate (Working Papers)

Employment of Minors in the State of New Hampshire

The Youth Employment Certificate (working papers) is required for any youth 12 to 15 years old and must be on file at the employer's place of business within three business days of the first day of employment. You can only obtain working papers AFTER a job has been secured. You must obtain new working papers for each job obtained up until age 16.

  • The employer should provide the student with an "Employer's Request for Child Labor form". This form must be completed by the employer (signed, federal ID number provided, and contain a detailed description of the work being done by this student).
  • The student and/or parent/guardian must take the completed Employer's Request for Child Labor form, a completed and signed Request for Work Permit (obtained at PHS for PHS students only) and proof of student's age (birth certificate, passport, baptismal certificate, immigration record, or a religious or official record bearing minor's age) to one of the following locations:
    • Portsmouth High School Main Office, 50 Andrew Jarvis Drive, Portsmouth
      • Office hours are 8:00-3:30*. Please feel free to call with any questions (603) 436-7100
    • Portsmouth School Department, 1 Junkins Avenue Suite 402. Portsmouth
      • Office hours for working papers 8:00-3:30*.

For youth ages 16 & 17, employers are required to have on file at the workplace, at the time employment begins, written permission by the parent or guardian of a 16 or 17-year-old permitting the youth's employment.

The State of NH does not provide working papers for any state outside of New Hampshire. If you live in NH and will be working in MA or ME, you will have to obtain working papers in the state you will be working in.

* Office hours can vary during summer and school vacation weeks.