DEPARTMENT: Public Works
POSITION TITLE: Arborist
CLASSIFICATION LEVEL: 7
SALARY RANGE: $20.47 to $22.53
QUALIFICATIONS: Applicants for this position must have graduated from high school or have earned a graduate equivalent diploma (GED), ISA Certified Arborist preferred, have a strong knowledge of tree maintenance, tree climbing, and working knowledge of one or more trades and not less than three years experience in tree work, construction or maintenance work. This position requires a candidate with a demonstrated knowledge of safety in arboriculture operations. An incumbent must not be afraid of heights and possess a valid commercial driver’s license, class B and have no offenses which would prohibit or restrict insurability by any insurance carrier providing coverage to the City. Obtaining additional certification or licensing may be required.
DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES: The purpose of this position is to care for trees and shrubs, including pruning, removing, planting, watering, and preserving trees. This position also fulfills one or more of the operational work objectives of maintaining, repairing and constructing City buildings and property, water distribution and wastewater collection facilities and street related facilities or controls requiring the application of specialized skills such as carpentry, plumbing, electricity, masonry, automotive, painting and other general trades and performing skilled and semi-skilled work as required. Employees in this position are expected to understand project or task objectives, identify and execute the appropriate tasks, use tools correctly and to successfully complete assigned work with minimal instruction. Work is performed individually, as part of a larger work unit, and is supervised by the Arborist Foreman. Performance is subject to review according to the City's personnel plan through observation, reports and the results achieved.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Maintain trees and shrubs including pruning, removing, watering, and planting trees.
2. Use aerial lift, as well as climbs trees for pruning and removals.
3. Use tree preservation techniques such as air spading and compost tea applications.
4. Prune trees affected by natural calamity.
5. Demonstrates a commitment to safety in all work operations.
6. Maintain and operate power equipment, hand tools and climbing equipments used in tree caring.
7. Perform all types of maintenance and repair work for which the individual is trained.
8. Uses wood chipper, grapple truck, chainsaws, air spade, and spray/watering truck.
9. Repairs and maintains outdoor and enclosed facilities such as playing fields, playgrounds, ice rinks and picnic areas. Operates heavy equipment as required.
10. Works on a variety of projects with the aerial lift such as antennas, roof repair, and other aerial work as assigned.
11. Is subject to call out to respond to emergencies after normal working hours, including all winter snow operations, and City events.
12. Perform all other duties as assigned.
SCOPE OF EXAMINATION:
Competitive Examination which includes a personal interview
Finalist must complete pre-employment screening, drug testing & background check.
APPLY TO: Click Here to apply by email or Click Here to download an application form
City of Portsmouth
Human Resources Office
1 Junkins Ave.
Portsmouth, NH 03801
The City of Portsmouth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
DATE POSTED: July 8, 2019 CLOSING DATE: Until Filled