A Director of the Food Service Program shall be employed to be responsible for the operation of the Program under the direction of the Business Administrator. The Director shall be responsible for the compliance with all Federal, State and local rules, regulations and Board policies.
The food service accounts shall be audited each year by an outside auditor using the same fiscal year at the Portsmouth School Department.
The objectives of the school program are:
- To provide high quality, nutritional school meals (breakfast, lunch, snacks) to all students.
- To provide meals at an affordable price or at a reduced price or free for students of parents who meet federal financial guidelines.
- To operate on a non-profit status.
To maintain all required governmental and health department standards.
The Board has established the school meals program as an integral part of the total school program with the following guidelines:
- The school meals program will operate on a non-profit basis and will pay all expenses and provide a reserve fund for equipment purchase and replacement.
- Strict compliance with all laws and regulations pertaining to health, sanitation and safety, internal accounting, employment practices, federal guidelines, and cost of meals is required with periodic reporting.
- The school meals program will be conducted as an additional learning experience for students.
- No food, other than that offered through the school meals program, will be made available to students during the school day unless authorized by the school principal and in co-ordination with the Director of Food Services.
At the end of each fiscal year, the School Department general funds shall transfer to the Food Service account an amount equal to the total of outstanding student accounts receivable as of June 30th.
Approved by Portsmouth School Board: May 8, 2012
Revised by Portsmouth School Board: May 10, 2016