"Begin With the End in Mind"
Robert J. Lister Academy (RJLA) is committed to helping students develop the academic, vocational and social skills necessary for high school graduation and for successful transition into the next phase of their young adult lives. To better serve this mission Robert J. Lister Academy has created a specialized program with Great Bay Community College (GBCC), which integrates a post-secondary college transition plan into our high school curriculum. Our goal is to both identify and address the barriers that exist between high school and college transition, while increasing our students' sense of belonging and ability to succeed in a college setting.
To achieve our goal, systemic and relational changes were necessary to integrate the secondary and post secondary education systems. These included implementing the following:
- Robert J. Lister Academy and Great Bay Community College will share 1 faculty member who will be funded by Robert J. Lister Academy (RJLA), but assigned to teach 1 required college skills class at the college campus. This class will combine Robert J. Lister Academy students and Great Bay Community College students, providing a real college experience, but with a teacher who is known to them.
- The shared faculty member is responsible for learning the organizational structure of Great Bay Community College and the key personnel and programs that are accessible to our students.
- Great Bay Community College will provide Robert J. Lister Academy with data regarding trends in their student body graduation rates, average number of years to graduation, number of students matriculating to 4 year degrees, and drop out rates. Trends in student preparation for college will also be communicated for the purpose of curriculum development at the secondary school level.
- Robert J. Lister Academy will support their students enrolled in the college class with transportation to the college campus, and at least one class with the shared faculty member at Robert J. Lister Academy.Ã‚Â The purpose of the class at Robert J. Lister Academy is to provide a scaffold to practice the skills and behaviors associated with student success in the college setting.
- Students who complete the transitional college course with the Robert J. Lister Academy instructor will then take a college class at Great Bay Community College with a professor unknown to them and receive assistance from Robert J. Lister Academy as needed.
- Robert J. Lister Academy will assist students with the application process and financial aid resources and planning.