The Portsmouth School Board is committed to establishing targeted and universal strategies to increase the educational opportunities and outcomes for all students, and closing any “opportunity gaps” between student populations, particularly when it comes to socioeconomic status. The following goals will be of primary focus for 2017-2018:
- Reduce gaps of opportunity or achievement between socioeconomic groups, including, but not limited to experiences with the arts, enrollment in rigorous coursework, and achievement on established benchmarks for career and college readiness in order to prepare students for an increasingly competitive world and post-secondary success.
- Review and discuss achievement data regularly to identify gaps in student outcomes and focus areas of need.
- Explore creating new district level policies that will better support equity and access for all students.
- Communicate a plan for the sustainability of existing preschool programing and strategies to expand preschool offerings to families currently not accessing preschool.
- Establish an “educational opportunity fund” to support access to academic, enrichment, and other programing opportunities that incur a cost to families on free or reduced lunch.
- Establish opportunities for all district staff to examine the mindsets and expectations needed to support all students and close opportunity gaps.
- Strengthen systems for intervention, including dedicated time during the school day for intervention supports.
- Support and increase 1:1 student/teacher technology practices and infrastructure, with a focus on establishing policies and protocols to ensure equitable access for all students.
In addition, the Board maintains broader goals that reinforce the district’s strategic focus on teacher quality, student learning, and stewardship of resources. The following goals will be of primary focus for 2017-2018:
- Create a robust district communication plan to ensure the community understands goals and priorities of the district and that space exists for discussions about these (i.e. coffee talks with administrators, media releases, publishing goals, etc.)
- Communicate the work of the Teacher Quality Panel, highlighting the work of Model Teachers.
- Increase core and enrichment opportunities in STEAM-related activities accessible to all students.
- Communicate a plan for the final phases of major facilities upgrades.
- Continue to track energy efficiency measures towards greater efficiency and long term savings.
- Fully integrate sustainable practices, school gardens, and Farm to School models in all schools.
- Explore the feasibility of World Language at the elementary level.