August 16, 2019
Portsmouth, N.H.— With a new school year starting Monday, August 26th, City Officials are reminding motorists to be alert and to watch for crossing guards at key locations around the city. Crossing guards with vests and signs assist students and their guardians who are walking and biking to school on busy City streets. Drivers are urged to use caution near school neighborhoods, plan routes away from heavy school traffic if travel is time-sensitive, and to obey posted school speed limits and crossing guard signals.
Parents and students should be aware that some crossing guard times for this fall have been updated to accommodate new walking routes to New Franklin Elementary School following the bridge work near the school and at the Andrew Jarvis Drive entrance to the high school where new turn lanes and traffic lights have been installed. A high volume of morning, non-school traffic at the congested intersection of South Street and Lafayette Road contribute to traffic slow-downs in that area during school opening times.
Motorists are reminded that the law requires they stop at least 25 feet from a crossing guard displaying a stop sign. Failure to obey school crossing guard directions is a violation of New Hampshire law and carries a $100 fine for the first offense and a $250 fine for subsequent offenses in the same calendar year.
Crossing guards are posted at the following times and locations on school days:
- South Street at Summit Ave. (Portsmouth High School)—7:55 a.m. to 8:30 a.m., and 3:15 p.m. to 3:45 p.m.
- Parrott Ave. at Richards Ave., Richards Ave. at Middle St and Parrot Ave. at Middle School Entrance . (Portsmouth Middle School) —8 a.m. to 8:25 a.m., and 3:05 p.m. to 3:25 p.m.
- Miller Ave. at Lincoln Ave. (Middle School and Little Harbor)—7:45 to 8:30 a.m. and 3-3:35 p.m.
- Dennett St. at Franklin Ave. (New Franklin Elementary)--7:45 a.m. to 8:25 a.m., and 2:45 p.m. to 3:05 p.m.
- South Street at Junkins Ave. (Little Harbor Elementary)--8:00 a.m. to 8:20 a.m., and 2:50 p.m. to 3:15 p.m.
- South Street at Clough Drive (Little Harbor Elementary)—7:55 a.m. to 8:30 a.m., and 2:45 p.m. to 3:15 p.m.
- South Street at Sagamore Ave. (Little Harbor Elementary)--8:10 a.m. to 8:30 a.m., and 2:55 p.m. to 3:20 p.m.
- Van Buren Ave. at Fillmore Rd.(Dondero Elementary)--8:05 a.m. to 8:30 a.m., and 2:45 p.m. to 3:10 p.m.