The Portsmouth Police Department has a very active and involved internship program. We have had students from as far away as New York intern with the Portsmouth Police within the past few years. Generally we limit the number of interns to two for each quarter or school semester. We will consider off-semester internships (during the summer). Several of our interns have found their career with us as Police Officers following their graduation.
Our interns are a part of the Portsmouth Police family. We will expose you to the area of City law enforcement based upon your interests. We can partner you up with detectives, K-9 handlers, SWAT team operators, street cop ride alongs, crime lab tour, DWI checkpoints, etc. We would expect the intern to assist us with some clerical projects such as crime analysis research, photocopying, and general filing. We have been told by many interns that we offer the BEST internship in the area.
Applying for an Internship
*Internships will be posted on PoliceApp, under 'Current Openings'. To check for internship openings, click 'PoliceApp' link, below.
- Go to PoliceApp and create an account.
- On PoliceApp, upload a current resume along with a letter from the College or University Department Head approving your participation in the internship.
- Complete the Police Department questionnaire
- Patiently wait to hear from the Portsmouth Police Department regarding your application.
- Must be able to pass a background investigation
- Must be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement and non-disclosure agreement
- Must be willing to complete an online CJIS test
Questions regarding your application or future internship inquiries may be directed to:
Lieutenant Christian Cummings
Portsmouth NH Police Department
3 Junkins Ave
Portsmouth, NH 03801
Return to Employment Opportunities