This academy is a collaborative effort between Portsmouth, Greenland, Rye, Newington, New Castle, and Exeter police departments and sponsored by CrimeStoppers.
The goals of the Citizens Police Academy are:
- To bring citizens closer to their police departments.
- To bring a greater understanding of the role of the Police officer in the community.
- To provide a forum to address community concerns direct to the Police Departments.
- To expand the knowledge of laws and police procedure of the participants.
- To increase the public awareness of crime prevention techniques.
Academy Topics Covered
- Welcome and introductions
- Waiver completions/overview of Academy
- History of Law Enforcement and Portsmouth PD
- Portsmouth Police Commission Meeting Introduction
- Crimestoppers overview
- Tour of Portsmouth Police Department
- Constitutional Law
- Criminal Law
- Elements of crime
- Probable Cause
- Search and Seizure
- Portsmouth K-9 Demo
- Tour of Newington PD
- M/V Law
- Accident Invst
- DWI/Field Sobriety
- Breath Machine
- Officer Selection and Police Academy
- Domestic Violence
- Restraining orders
- Violence prevention
- Defensive tactics/OC/Taser
- SERT Demo
- Sexual Assault Support Services
- Visit with District Court Judge Gardner
- Safe driving-Michelle Norton Video
- Seatbelt use and the convincer demo
- Bicycle patrol
- Motorcycle patrols
- Radar operation
- In cruiser camera operations
- Tour of Greenland PD
- School Resource Officer
- Narcotics Invst and SIU
- Evidence collection
- Mock crime scene
- Group Photo
- Tour of Rye PD
- Tour of New Castle PD
- Tour of Coast Guard Station and Boat
- Tour of Rockingham County Jail
- Slide Show
In addition, each participant would be expected to attend 2 hours in a Court as an observer as well as 4 hours of ride along sometime during the 8 week academy. A participant is allowed to miss one session and still complete academy.
THERE IS NO FEE that will be charged to the participants. Course outline subject to change based on availability and Department activity that day.
For more information you can contact Community Police Officer Rochelle Navelski at the Portsmouth Police Department at (603) 610-7503 or e-mail at Citizenspoliceacademy@pd.cityofportsmouth.com. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Citizen-Police-Academy-103325073043142/