Site Plan Review Application Instructions
This application shall be used for Site Plan Review Approval from the Planning Board and is required for projects that meet any of the following criteria:
- Residential development or redevelopment which, when completed, will have three or more dwelling units regardless of whether the project involves a subdivision of land;
- Non-residential development or redevelopment including alterations, additions or extensions (including the addition of a drive-through facility), or new nonresidential uses that increase the amount of required off-street parking by five or more spaces;
- The addition of five (5) or more parking spaces.
In addition, Amended Site Plan Review approval is required for modifications to a previously approved site plan.
All applicants should familiarize themselves with the Site Plan Review Regulations before submitting an application. Technical Advisory Committee review is also required for all site plan review applications. Links to additional reference and application documents are provided below:
- Site Plan Review Application Checklist (required with application)
- Tree planting standards, details, and protection zones (reference)
- Bike parking guidelines (reference)
- Site Plan Review Agreement Template NOTE: required after approval is granted
- Site Plan Review Security Templates NOTE: required after approval is granted
- Construction Mitigation and Management Plan NOTE: may be required after approval is granted
1. A complete application including the online land use application form, the required application fee, and one (1) original hard copy of all supporting documents, plans, and exhibits must be received by the Planning Department prior to the published deadline. Note, there are separate submission deadlines for Technical Advisory Committee and Planning Board.
2. View Point Cloud is the software that powers the City of Portsmouth's online application center. In order to complete an online land use application, you must create an account for the site. When you register for the first time, you’ll need to access your email account in order to activate your View Point account.
3. The person completing the online application should be the primary point of contact for the project and must provide authorization from the property owner. All automatic notifications from View Point on the application’s status, approvals, and staff comments will be sent to this person’s email address. Only this person can add additional information to the application once it’s been submitted.
4. If the project will need multiple land use approvals from different boards, a single online land use application record should be used for all of the approvals. It is recommended that the applicant confer with Planning Department staff about project contacts for multiple land use approvals prior to submitting the application.
5. Submission deadlines are available from the Planning Department and online -- www.cityofportsmouth.com/planportsmouth/land-use-applications-forms-and-fees (meeting schedule).
6. The Planning Department reserves the right to refuse applications which do not meet the minimum requirements. The Planning Department may also require additional information and/or exhibits as needed to illustrate the scope of the project.
7. The following information is required for all applications for site plan review approval:
- Site costs
- Total site development area
- Lot area
- Detailed description of proposed work
- Brief description of existing land use
- Existing and proposed building dimensions (footprint, total gross floor area, height)
- Existing and proposed front, side and rear yards / building setbacks
- Existing and proposed number of parking and loading spaces
- Total area of surface parking and driveways
- Other impervious surface area
- Number of new hotel rooms
- Total new restaurant gross floor area
- Project representatives – names and contact information
- Site plans meeting the requirements of the City’s Site Plan Review Regulations
- Site Plan Review application checklist
The Applicant is encouraged to consider the following when completing the application:
- Provide neat and clearly legible plans and copies
- Use of color or highlights is encouraged in order to identify pertinent areas on plans
- Applicants are encouraged to review the application with a member of the Planning Department staff prior to submittal
- All applicants are encouraged to discuss the project with impacted neighbors
For additional information on application requirements and the site plan review process, please refer to the City of Portsmouth Site Plan Review Regulations and the Planning Board Rules and Regulations or contact the Planning Department directly at (603) 610-7216.