February 23, 2022
The City has announced that staff will start reviewing and renewing applications for the 2022 outdoor dining season starting February 23, 2022. Businesses wanting to operate an outdoor café on public property in 2022 can apply for approval by submitting an application through the City's online permitting portal. More information about standards and guidance on application submissions are available on the City's web page. Once an application is approved, the season for use of public realm will be as follows:
- February 23, 2022 – Application Period Opens
- March 4, 2022 (weather permitting) – Use of sidewalks and public realm open (not travel lanes or parking spaces)
- Starting the Week of April 7, 2022 (weather permitting) – Barriers are placed by DPW, use of travel lanes and parking spaces open
- November 27, 2022 – Outdoor dining ends
Anyone who is opening a new restaurant, is an existing restaurant that is expanding or adding an outdoor area on private property, or if you are seeking to place tables, chairs, or signage on a public sidewalk with no food or alcohol service, please click here for more information.
Please note the following changes for the 2022 Outdoor Dining Season approved by City Council on February 22, 2022.
Sidewalks and Public Parking Spaces
- City sidewalks - $5/square foot for café area (minimum $1,000)
- City Parking Spaces - $1,500 per space
- Abutter Approval. If the applicant proposes utilization of parking spaces or the sidewalk area beyond the extended boundaries of their storefront and into parking or sidewalk area in-front of abutting businesses – they must first provide abutter consent for use of such spaces.
- City streets – travel way - $5/square foot for café area (minimum $1,000)
- Abutter Approval. If the applicant proposes utilization area beyond the extended boundaries of their storefront and into parking, street, or sidewalk area in-front of abutting businesses – they must first provide abutter consent for use of such spaces.
Any questions about the 2022 outdoor dining seasons can be directed to the Planning Department at (603) 610-7216 or email@example.com.