November 24, 2018
Foreign Policy Discussion Group
8 Week Course | Tuesdays January 8 – February 26
10:00 - 11:15 AM or 7 – 8:15 PM
Portsmouth Public Library
What is our country’s role in the world? How does our foreign policy affect trade, migration and conflict? How are the political and social trends in our nation reflected around the globe?
If you’d like to become better educated about issues around the world, now’s your chance! For the fourth year in a row, the library offers a unique opportunity to consider and discuss a number of foreign policy topics.
Back by popular demand, we’ll have two independent groups: you can choose from a 10 – 11:15 AM session or a 7 – 8:15 meeting, on Tuesdays, January 8 – March 5 in the Levenson Community Room.
This FREE 8 week “Great Decisions” course, created by the Foreign Policy Association to educate the public about current events, will include the following topics for 2019:
- Refugees and Global Migration (resource list: print and downloadable books, documentaries, etc.)
- The Middle East: Regional Disorder (resource list)
- Nuclear Negotiations: Back to the Future? (resource list)
- The Rise of Populism in Europe (resource list)
- Decoding U.S.- China Trade (resource list)
- Cyber Conflict and Geopolitics (resource list)
- The United State and Mexico: Partnership Tested (resource list coming soon)
- State of the State Department and Diplomacy (resource list coming soon)
Each week, participants will watch a 30 minute documentary on an issue, which will be followed by a discussion. Each session will be led by a volunteer facilitator.
This group is free and open to all. Please visit the Reference Desk or call 603-766-1720 to register. Portsmouth Public Library cardholders are eligible for a free copy of the Great Decisions Briefing Book, 2019 edition. The first 100 PPL cardholders to register will receive a copy. Non-cardholders may purchase a copy of the briefing book from the library for $30 from the library, or online at greatdecisions.org. Register in advance to be notified when books are available for pickup.
Questions? Email Director Steven K. Butzel at firstname.lastname@example.org.