May 21, 2020
Beginning in June, the library will accept returns and offer curbside pickup by appointment. Visit cityofportsmouth.com/library/curbside for more details!
In the meantime, we encourage you to take advantage of all the digital services the library has to offer.
For example, you can download ebooks, audiobooks and movies with Hoopla and OverDrive Libby, take classes on arts, crafts and computer topics with Creativebug and Lynda Learning, and learn a new language with Mango, all for free with your library card! But perhaps most importantly, you can also connect with others in the community by participating in our online programs that include meditation groups, youth and adult book discussion groups, a world affairs discussion group and more.
Don't have a library card? Find out how to get one!
We're here to answer your questions by phone, email and chat! Read on for all the information you need to take full advantage of all that the library offers online...
PPL is committed to keeping you entertained and informed throughout this difficult time. Here are just some of the great resources we offer online:
- Hoopla – Download/stream music, movies, ebooks, audiobooks, and comics
- Overdrive Libby – Download ebooks and audiobooks
- RBDigital – Download magazines
- New York Times – Online access to the New York Times
- EBSCOhost – Search for articles from journals and magazines
- Portsmouth Exhibits – View our digitized local history collections
- Lynda.com – Learn computer, business, and technical skills
- Learning Express – Learn job search and workplace skills improvement, skill building in reading, writing, math, and basic science, career certification and licensure exam prep, college and grad school entrance test prep, GED® test prep, and more.
- Mango Languages – Learn a new language, including English as a second language
- Creativebug – Arts and Crafts classes for all skill levels. Class topics include: Art and Design, Knitting and Crochet, Sewing and Quilting, Papercrafts, Jewelry Making, Food and Home Decor, Holiday and Party Ideas, and Crafts for Kids
- Genealogy Resources – Heritage Quest, Fold3, Newspapers.com, and more!
And check out our list of other resources available to you:
The library will offer the following online programs - check back for updates!
- Weekly World Affairs Discussion Group
- Weekly Meditation
- Speculative Fiction Book Discussion
- Fiction Book Discussion
- Spanish, German and Italian Language Discussion Groups
- Teen Advisory Board
- Grades 3 & 4 Book Discussion
- Grades 4 & 5 Book Discussion
- Virtual & Augmented Reality World Building for grades 5-8
For dates and times, and to learn how to connect, visit cityofportsmouth.com/library/news/onlineprograms.
Don't worry about your items on the hold shelf. Anything that's on the hold shelves when we close will still be there when we reopen.
Don't worry about your items you have out. All items have been renewed, and will be until we re-open. Please don't return any items you have to the drop box until we reopen.
You'll still be able to place requests during the closure, but no items will be pulled to fill requests during the closure.
We are monitoring phones, email and are available by chat! If you have questions about your account or need help accessing library services or programs, please contact us at 603-427-1540 or email@example.com, or visit our Staff Contact page to chat with us!
WHAT ABOUT THE STAFF?
Thank you for worrying about us, but don't worry about us! All PPL staff are being paid throughout this closure, and many of us will be working for you every day.
I communicate daily with the City’s Health Officer and City Manager to remain up to date on any changing conditions or City policies. We will keep you informed with regular updates, so please do check on our website, cityofportsmouth.com/library. It is our hope that these steps will help contribute to the sustained good health of our community and will offer some assurance during this distressing time.
Steven K. Butzel, Library Director
Portsmouth Public Library
P.S. As for online resources about the Coronavirus (COVID-19), we recommend…