The Principles for Legislative Positions as approved by the City Council on March 20, 2017 are as follows:
- Advocate to maintain local authority.
- Authorize local options.
- Support revenue streams to aid municipalities, specifically those that name Portsmouth or will directly support Portsmouth.
- Advocate for municipal representation on state committees.
- Support incentives for regional cooperation.
- Support plans to fund/support infrastructure.
- Support incentives for sustainability.
- Support directing revenues to the purposes for which they are raised.
- Support measures that increase the efficiency of local government operations.
- Maintain and improve health, life and safety issues including protecting the safety of our First Responders.
- Encourage citizens to vote and support eliminating barriers to voting.
- Rely on locally generated financial data for decisions relating to local taxes and assessments.
- Protect local decision making about local zoning.
- Require the State to honor existing financial commitments to communities before new financial commitments are awarded, e.g. infrastructure reimbursements.
- Support the civil rights of individuals and oppose discrimination against any individual because of age, sex, race, creed, color, marital status, familial status, physical or mental disability, national origin, sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Use expertise and research in decision making.
- Support incentives relative to the construction of affordable housing.
For NHMA Legislative Policy Positions, Please Click Here