August 27, 2021
Schools Opening and City of Portsmouth Reminds Drivers to Watch for School Crossings
Portsmouth, New Hampshire -- Portsmouth Public Schools start a new school year next week; and with teachers, parents and students adjusting to new schedules for in-school learning, drivers are urged to be extra cautious on city streets and to watch for crossing guards at key locations around the city.
The DPW Parking Enforcement Manager, who manages the crossing guards schedule, asks motorists to be alert to increased pedestrian activity and to follow directions from crossing guards with vests and signs as they assist students and their guardians who are walking and biking to school. Drivers are urged to be vigilant near school neighborhoods, plan routes away from heavy school traffic if travel is time-sensitive, and to obey posted school speed limits and crossing guard signals.
New Hampshire law requires that vehicles stop at least 25 feet from a crossing guard displaying a stop sign. Failure to obey school crossing guard directions is a violation of New Hampshire law and carries a $100 fine for the first offense and a $250 fine for subsequent offenses in the same calendar year.
Crossing guards are posted between 7:35 and 8:35 am and between 2:25 and 3:45 pm, Monday through Friday.
Crossing Guards, Weekday Schedule
- South Street at Summit Ave. (Portsmouth High School) -- 8-8:35 am and 3:15-3:45pm
- Parrott Ave. at Richards Ave. (Middle School) – 7:55-8:25 am and 3:10-3:25 pm
- Richards Ave. at Middle St. (Middle School) – 7:50-8:25 and 3:10-3:35 pm
- Parrot Ave. at Middle School Entrance (Middle School) – 8:00-8:35 am and 3:10-3:25 pm
- Miller Ave. at Lincoln Ave. (Middle School//Little Harbor) --7:35-8:30 am and 3:10-3:35 pm
- Dennett St. at Franklin Ave. (New Franklin Elementary) --7:40-8:05 am and 2:25-2:50 pm
- South Street at Junkins Ave. (Little Harbor Elementary) -- 7:40-8:05 am and 2:30-2:50 pm
- South Street at Clough Drive (Little Harbor Elementary) --7:40-8:05 am and 2:25-2:45 pm
- South Street at Sagamore Ave. (Little Harbor Elementary) --7:35-8:00 am and 2:35 to 2:55 pm
- Van Buren Ave. at Fillmore Rd. (Dondero Elementary) -- 7:35-8:05 am and 2:25-2:45 pm
For a map of the crossing guard locations, click here.