Drivers: Be Aware of School Crossing Locations
Updated August 29, 2012
PORTSMOUTH - Motorists are reminded that with the reopening of school in August, crossing guards will be stationed at new locations to assist students and their parents who are walking and biking to school.
Drivers are urged to use caution in these areas, plan alternate routes if travel is time-sensitive, and to obey posted school speed limits and crossing guard signals.
Failure to obey school crossing guard directions-including stopping at least 25 feet from a crossing guard displaying a signal to stop - is a violation of New Hampshire law and carries a $100 fine for the initial offense and a $250 penalty for subsequent offenses in the same calendar year.
Click here for the School Crossing Locations 2012 Map
Crossing guards will be posted at the following times and locations on school days:
- 7 a.m. to 7:35 a.m., and 2:35 p.m. to 2:55 p.m. - South Street at Summit Street, Lafayette Road at Alumni Drive;
- 7:15 a.m. to 7:40 a.m., and 2:15 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. - Middle School front entrance and Parrott Avenue, and Rogers Avenue at Parrott Avenue
- 7:50 a.m. to 8:15 a.m., and 2:35 p.m. to 2:55 p.m. - Dennett Street at Franklin Drive
- 8:20 a.m. to 8:40 a.m., and 3:15 p.m. to 3:40 p.m. - Sagamore Ave. and South St.
- 8:20 to 8:50, and 3 to 3:20 p.m. - South Street at Junkins Avenue
- 8:15 to 8:50 a.m., and 3 to 3:25 p.m. - Clough Drive and Sagamore Ave.
- 8:35 a.m. to 9 a.m., and 3 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. - Van Buren Avenue at Fillmore Road