Traffic control jobs that require a person to direct traffic on the following streets will be required to use Portsmouth Police Officer(s):
- Borthwick Ave
- Grafton Drive
- Greenland Road
- Interstate Route 95 (if not covered by the N.H. State Police)
- Islington Street
- Lafayette Road
- New Hampshire Ave
- International Drive
- Ocean Road
- Pease Blvd.
- Woodbury Ave
- Market Street from Woodbury Ave to Deer Street
- Maplewood Ave
- Middle Street
- Downtown compact street area between Court Street, Deer Street, Maplewood Avenue and the Piscataqua River boundary.
For more information on a certain project or projects, please click here.
The Water Division performs the following functions that includes the areas of Portsmouth, Newington, Rye, New Castle, Madbury and Pease:
Water System Information and Reports:
- Maintains/installs water mains.
- Maintains/installs hydrants.
- Maintains/installs City side water services.
- Maintains/installs/reads water meters.
- Performs backflow testing
- Provides quality water for consumption.
- Provides water for fire protection.
The City and its Department of Public Works (DPW) Sewer Division are working to improve the City's wastewater systemto protect theenvironment and meet EPA's wastewater mandates.
The City is currently under a legal order (Consent Decree) from the EPA to upgrade the Peirce Island WWTF to secondary treatment. The upgrade project will be the single largest capital expense for the sewer system to date.
The City was recently notified by EPA that the Peirce Island secondary treatment permit would be made more stringent by requiring nitrogen removal to 8 milligrams per liter (mg/L).
Unrelated to the order, the City anticipates the draft permit for the Pease WWTF will also be more stringent and will result in another significant WWTF upgrade. For more information please visit http://www.portsmouthwastewater.com/
Click here for the Water/Sewer Rate Studies
Welcome to the stormwater section, this section is intended to help you understand the importance of stormwater and what can cause stormwater pollution. Please refer to the following links for more information.