DEPARTMENT: Public Works-Water
POSITION TITLE: Water Treatment Operator
CLASSIFICATION LEVEL: 10
SALARY RANGE: $20.54 to $24.91
QUALIFICATIONS: Applicants for this position must have graduated from high school or earned a GED. Other advanced training in water treatment plant operations, pumps, motors or other skilled trade is preferred. An applicant must have three years of experience in the maintenance and repair of machinery and equipment, and the operation and maintenance of a water system and/or one year of formal training in water treatment, or equivalent work experience, as well as a grade II NH water treatment plant license or the ability to acquire appropriate licensing within 18 months from the date of original appointment. An incumbent must possess a valid commercial drivers license, class B, and have no offenses which would prohibit or restrict insurability by any insurance carrier providing coverage to the City. Obtaining additional certification or licensing may be required.
DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES: The purpose of this position is to assist, individually and with others, in the operation and maintenance of water treatment plants, machinery and equipment according to approved performance standards for which the operating unit is responsible. This includes functions such as treating water, clearing and maintaining treatment plant facilities, wells, pumping stations and equipment, tanks, performing preventative maintenance and repair work, and otherwise completing assigned work. Performance is subject to review according to the City's personnel plan through observation, reports and the results achieved.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Inspects and operates Water Systems Facility and equipment placed under his/her care and on which he/she is trained. Meets or exceeds treatment, procedural and other operating regulations and approved standards. Implements standard operating procedures and performs other assigned treatment plant, well, pumping station, and associated property maintenance work as appropriate.
2. Undertakes and completes preventative and routine maintenance for all facilities, machinery, and equipment which includes tasks ranging in complexity from custodial care to review of technical manuals, and the implementation of proscribed maintenance and repair procedures. Provides this assistance individually, to and with others.
3. Takes samples, monitors, analyzes and reports water system information regarding operating conditions and the results achieved. Implements corrective actions as appropriate. Responds to adverse weather conditions and other emergencies when called to provide for the continued operation and protection of facilities.
4. Confers with internal customers, municipal officials and others as directed regarding treatment facility, well and pumping station operations as appropriate.
5. Coordinates functions and activities with other operating units and City departments as directed.
6. Performs preventive and corrective maintenance to facility equipment, mixing of chemical solutions, operation of manual and electrically controlled valves, general facility cleaning, painting and grounds maintenance. Performs routine laboratory analysis for control of the treatment process. Analyzes, records and evaluates instrument readings and laboratory test results; makes process and treatment adjustments as required; determines remedial action in an emergency.
7. Operates the water treatment and pumping stations using the SCADA system at the water facility. Assists in the operation and maintenance of specialized equipment, water quality analyzers and water system activities.
8. Perform on-call duties for week-long periods at a frequency of no less than once every 6 weeks, as assigned.
SCOPE OF EXAMINATION:
Competitive Examination which includes a personal interview
Finalist must complete pre-employment screening, drug testing, physical & background check.
Click Here to apply by email or Click Here to download an application form
City of Portsmouth
Human Resources Office Human Resources Director:
1 Junkins Ave. Dianna Fogarty
Portsmouth, NH 03801 (603) 610-7270
The City of Portsmouth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
DATE POSTED: May 11, 2018 CLOSING DATE: Until Filled