Economic Development Department, 1 Junkins Avenue, Portsmouth, NH 03801, Phone: (603) 610-7220


Economic Development Home Page 

Portsmouth Economic Development Commission Members 

Starting and Relocating a Business in Portsmouth 

City Home 

Planning Board Meeting on HarborCorp Proposal to be Rebroadcast Before Public Hearing

PORTSMOUTH - The entire Planning Board meeting on zoning changes necessary to build the proposed HarborCorp LLC hotel and conference center complex will be rebroadcast next weekend prior to the City Council’s July 17 public hearing on the issue.

The May 25 Planning Board meeting, which was 4 hours and ¾ hours long, will be rebroadcast on Channel 22 at 5 p.m. on Friday, July 14; Saturday, July 15, and Sunday, July 16, in order that residents may have an opportunity to review the meeting prior to the public hearing.

The Planning Board meeting also can be viewed anytime by computer users with access to the Internet by going to and clicking on the “Webcast archives” link at the top of the page or by going to

HarborCorp LLC proposes to build a 207-room Westin Hotel, 21 penthouse condominiums, retail space along Deer Street, and a parking garage to be operated under a public-private contract with the City in the Northern Tier section of the city. HarborCorp is a partnership between the Sheraton Harborside and the Westin.

At the May 25 meeting, the Planning Board recommended that the City Council approve three of the four zoning changes requested by HarborCorp LLC, including rezoning the surface parking lot where the complex would be built from Central Business A to Central Business B.

The fourth proposed zoning amendment sought to allow by right, rather than as a special exception as currently outlined in the Zoning Ordinance, a hotel convention center and related uses with an occupancy of more than 500 people in the CBB District. The Planning Board did not favorably recommend this proposed amendment. If the City Council were to accept the Planning Board’s recommendation on this item, the applicant could seek a special exception for Board of Adjustment approval.