Emergency Dial 911, Portsmouth Police Department, 3 Junkins Avenue, Portsmouth, NH 03801, Tel: (603) 427-1500

Police Department Home 
Police Commission 
Chief of Police 
Vision Statement 
Budget Information 
Annual Report 
Department Overview 
Department History 
News Releases 
Crime Stoppers 
Community Resource 
Employment Inquiries 
Patrol Division 
Detective Division 
Specialty Units 
Animal Control Officer 
Local Links 
City Home 
News Releases

Date of Release: April 24th, 2007

Reference: Suicidal Subject threatening hospital staff with a knife

During the early morning hours, approximately 2:25 AM, on April 24th, 2007, the Portsmouth Police Department received a call from the staff at the Portsmouth Regional Hospital stating that a male subject walked into the emergency room with apparent self-inflicted cuts to his wrists. While the staff was in the process of caring for the man’s injuries the man became very agitated and threatening toward them. The subject then ran out the back door.

A second call then came in from the Hospital Staff stating that the subject was in possession of a knife and did threaten a paramedic by holding the knife at the paramedic’s chest and by stating that he was going to kill the paramedic.

Officer David Colby arrived at the Hospital and confronted the suspect just outside of the emergency room door. Officer Colby held the suspect at gunpoint at which point the suspect began to yell, “Shoot me!” While Officer Colby was giving commands to the suspect, who refused to comply with those commands,
Officer Eric Bentz was able to approach the suspect and spray him with pepper spray.

Officer John Lee and Officer Aaron Goodwin were also on scene and after the suspect was pepper sprayed the officers were able to move in and subdue the suspect. NH State Troopers, Chris Stone and Seth Gaar were also on scene and assisted in getting the suspect under control.

The suspect has been identified as:
Jason Fuller
Date of birth 11/24/67
3 Emerald Dr #5
Barrington, NH 03825

Fuller was placed into custody after being treated for his injuries. He was transported to the Portsmouth Police Department where he was held until court.

He is being charged with:
Felony Criminal Threatening, one count
Simple Assault, one count
Resisting arrest, one count

Fuller was transported to the Portsmouth District Court where he was arraigned. Judge Morrison ordered Fuller to be held on $20,000 Cash Bail.

Because of the teamwork and professionalism each officer, trooper and dispatcher the suspect was taken into custody, and was given the medical attention he needed, without anyone else getting injured and without further injury to the suspect.

Despite being assaulted, threatened at knifepoint and being verbally abused, the entire staff at the Portsmouth Regional Hospital showed a great deal of compassion and professionalism by giving Mr. Fuller the best of care and treating him for his injuries.

Released by Lieutenant Rodney G. McQuate, Uniformed Patrol Division, for Chief Michael J. Magnant.



 Emergency Dial 911, Portsmouth Police Department, 3 Junkins Avenue, Portsmouth, NH 03801, Tel: (603) 427-1500